Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Kalyan Chakaravarthy <nk...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/19 18:31:11 UTC

PDF from xml & XSL document objects ?

Hi,

I am trying to modify my existing java class, that can generate different outputs.

Is there a way to generate PDF document with XML Document object and XSL Document Object ?  .

(The example that comes with FOP shows how to generate PDF document from XML file and XSL file. But my requirement is not this.)

Thanks in advance,

Kalyan

Re: PDF from xml & XSL document objects ?

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Todd McGrath wrote:
> Can you modify your existing classes to produce a
> javax.xml.transform.Source?  You can pass that to FOP.

There is a DOMSource.

J.Pietschmann

Re: PDF from xml & XSL document objects ?

Posted by clholm <vp...@earthlink.net>.
Try adding  the following to your DTD:

                        <!ENTITY nbsp '&#160;'>

Subsequently,  you should be able to safely use &nbsp;  in your XSL
stylesheet.

-Carl Holm

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Kalyan Chakaravarthy wrote:
> Looks like Driver class and XSLTInputHandler classes do not accept DOM Document objects.
> Driver expects a stream to FO file. Now I have decided to produce an intermediate FOP stream.

This is almost always a bad idea. Look closely at the
code provided to you. Use a DOMSource to pass your
DOM documents to the transformer. The result is
piped to the FOP driver through a SAXResult.

You can take a look at the Java documentation for
further ideas.

> Every thing seems to be fine. But I use &#160; character in XSL document to produce &nbsp; in the result. This character is causing problem while producing PDF from intermediate FO file.
> It throws an exception: invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence (0xa0)

You've got a problem with the file encoding, and with long
lines in your mail. For the first, look into the XSL FAQ,
reachable from
  http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/

J.Pietschmann

RE: PDF from xml & XSL document objects ?

Posted by Todd McGrath <mc...@supergloo.com>.
Can you modify your existing classes to produce a
javax.xml.transform.Source?  You can pass that to FOP.

Simple Example:
Source strSource = new StreamSource(new StringReader(xmlString));
 Driver driver = new Driver();
 // FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream( "filename.pdf" );

 driver.setRenderer(driver.RENDER_PDF);
 driver.setOutputStream(out);
 Result saxResult = new SAXResult( driver.getContentHandler() );

 transformer.transform( strSource, saxResult );