Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by bwtaylor <br...@yahoo.com> on 2009/06/04 18:05:21 UTC

Re: too many open files

We have a similar problem. I'm skeptical that simply raising the ulimit is
the right solution. What I've seen is a file descriptor leak where STOMP
connections leak when closed by an intermediate firewall. The producer's
packets will be dropped and it will close its connection, but activemq just
keeps the socket open. Raising the ulimit on open files will simply make it
take longer to die.

A better solution is to make keepalive work with STOMP. Then the firewall
probably wouldn't shut the connection, or if it did anyway, the keepalive
packet would bounce back and cause the socket to be cleaned up.

The failure mode is horrible here... activemq doesn't crash as it simply
thinks it's waiting for messages on sockets that will never come. So
master/slave doesn't matter. Clients cannot connect to the master as all its
sockets are and remain full.

Possibly related bugs: