Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2017/04/13 16:44:56 UTC

BIRT_VIEWER_SCRIPTLIB_DIR

Hi,

Does someone knows if this is really useful? (in birt web.xml)

     <!--
         Directory where to store all the birt report script libraries (JARs).
         Defaults to ${birt home}/scriptlib
     -->
     <context-param>
<param-name>BIRT_VIEWER_SCRIPTLIB_DIR</param-name>
<param-value>${ofbiz.home}/plugins/birt/lib/scriptlib</param-value>
     </context-param>

I found it as an empty folder in my machine, I don't see it used at all in source.

I believe it was previously used with the birt webapp I recently removed for licensing reason.

But I'm unsure because a "/plugins/birt/lib/scriptlib" folder was generated on my machine today (using trunk HEAD)

Thanks

Jacques

Re: BIRT_VIEWER_SCRIPTLIB_DIR

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 13/04/2017 � 19:19, Taher Alkhateeb a �crit :
> >From the birt documentation page [1] : BIRT_VIEWER_SCRIPTLIB_DIR "Specifies
> the default location to place Jar files used by the script engine. These
> can be Jars used by script engine or jars containing event handlers written
> in Java. These Jars are appended to the classpath. If this setting is left
> blank the default value of webapp/scriptlib will be used."
>
> So I'm not totally sure, but I think if we remove the variable then the
> birt engine would still create a directory but using the default location
> mentioned above.

Yes you are right, I guess this directory is always empty in our case but Birt will continue to create it, better to ignore it, not a big deal

> Maybe you can experiment by changing and/or removing the
> variable from web.xml and observe if other directories are created
> anywhere.

Yes that happens indeed, always an empty scriptlib directory in plugins\birt\webapp\birt is created
But only when using the examples reports (related with the "BIRT Tag Library"), ie not with the order reports (tested with R16.11 I did not find them
in trunk, I'll investigate why) nor with the flexible reports

> I'm also not entirely sure how the jars are appended to the
> classpath (given that OFBiz manages the classpath through Gradle), maybe
> they mean at runtime by using a classloader or something like that? but if
> it is compile time, then I think OFBiz would take care of it by placing the
> jars in any lib directory.

Yes it seems to me that no libs are put there in OFBiz. But anyway it's Birt dependent, let it be...

Jacques

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
From the birt documentation page [1] : BIRT_VIEWER_SCRIPTLIB_DIR "Specifies
the default location to place Jar files used by the script engine. These
can be Jars used by script engine or jars containing event handlers written
in Java. These Jars are appended to the classpath. If this setting is left
blank the default value of webapp/scriptlib will be used."

So I'm not totally sure, but I think if we remove the variable then the
birt engine would still create a directory but using the default location
mentioned above. Maybe you can experiment by changing and/or removing the
variable from web.xml and observe if other directories are created
anywhere. I'm also not entirely sure how the jars are appended to the