Posted to user@struts.apache.org by ha...@informatiefabriek.nl on 2003/10/02 16:36:33 UTC

internationalized date

Hi all,

I have a bean which contains a java.util.Date field which I need to print
in my JSP.
Unfortunatly when I just use:

<bean:write name="myBean" property="date"/>

The date get's printed in the (default) American / English format:

Thu Oct 02 08:58:34 CEST 2003

I need to present a localized version of the date (Dutch standard format).

What is a good way of achieving this?

Many thanks,

Harm de Laat
Informatiefabriek
The Netherlands

Re: internationalized date

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <sw...@logicline.de>.
You can use JSTL or write your own Date formatter Custom Tag.
Here is a method that does that:
    public int doStartTag() throws JspException
    {
       Date today = new Date();
       ServletRequest request
          (ServletRequest)pageContext.getRequest();
       Locale user = request.getLocale();
       DateFormat dateFormatter =
          DateFormat.getDateInstance(DateFormat.DEFAULT, user);
       String now = dateFormatter.format(today);

       try { pageContext.getOut().write(now);
       }catch(java.io.IOException ex)
       { throw new JspException(ex.getMessage()); }
       return EVAL_BODY_INCLUDE;
     }