Posted to user@ant.apache.org by ck...@onebox.com on 2007/05/21 16:58:18 UTC

How to?: run a custom Java program against a

I have prepared a Java program to use regexes to swap a list of strings for others in a text file. I'd like to create an Ant <target> that would run the program against a set of files located in a specific directory.

At first glance, it seems that I should be able to use the <fileset> type and the <java> task to do this, but I can't find anything in the help files that addresses this. During many years of learning new programming languages and environments, I have learned that when I can't find any documentation on how to do something that I think ought to be simple, it usually means that I have some deep misunderstanding about the topic.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Must I develop a custom Ant task to do this, or am I just overlooking something obvious.

Thanks.

--
Charles Knell
cknell@onebox.com - email

Re: How to?: run a custom Java program against a

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
You have described what I am thinking of as an
<applyjava> task.  On the Ant developer list we have
just decided that this is needed often enough to
warrant its inclusion in Ant's core.  Expect it in a
future (probably post 1.7.1) version of Ant.  Until
then your best options are:

 - ant-contrib <for>
 - <script>
 - custom task

-Matt

--- cknell@onebox.com wrote:

> I have prepared a Java program to use regexes to
> swap a list of strings for others in a text file.
> I'd like to create an Ant <target> that would run
> the program against a set of files located in a
> specific directory.
>
> At first glance, it seems that I should be able to
> use the <fileset> type and the <java> task to do
> this, but I can't find anything in the help files
> that addresses this. During many years of learning
> new programming languages and environments, I have
> learned that when I can't find any documentation on
> how to do something that I think ought to be simple,
> it usually means that I have some deep
> misunderstanding about the topic.
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction? Must I
> develop a custom Ant task to do this, or am I just
> overlooking something obvious.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Charles Knell