Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Markus Fried <ma...@gmx.net> on 2010/03/23 11:14:32 UTC

SVN and NTFS - illegal character ':' in filename

Hi,

I'm using SVN (client side) on a Win7 64bit box with NTFS. I've got an issue when SVN tried to create a (SVN-system-file) named "locations-fit (10.08.09 09:52).js.svn-base".

On NTFS a ':' marks an "alternate data stream", so a "svn update" produces an file system error.

Is there a way to tell SVN not to use such file names?

Best regards
Mark.

--
GMX.at - Österreichs FreeMail-Dienst mit über 2 Mio Mitgliedern
E-Mail, SMS & mehr! Kostenlos: http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atfreemail

Re: SVN and NTFS - illegal character ':' in filename

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 23, 2010, at 10:04, Markus Fried wrote:

> it's not a file I put into SVN that causes the problem - it seems that SVN attached a kind of time stamp for one of its book keeping files in the .svn folder.

I've never seen Subversion do that before. You're certain there is not a file called "locations-fit (10.08.09 09:52).js" in your repository?

Re: SVN and NTFS - illegal character ':' in filename

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
If you have both Unix and Windows boxes on the same project, it's very
possible for someone on Unix to create a file with an invalid
character or name for Windows. For example, aux.java is an invalid
file name on Windows.

I have a pre-commit trigger that allows you to ban characters or file
names from being added into your Subversion repository.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: SVN and NTFS - illegal character ':' in filename

Posted by Markus Fried <ma...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Markus Fried <ma...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Sarah George <sa...@gmail.com>.
As others have said, it sounds like there is a file in your repository
with some characters in the filename that your OS doesn't like. The
best fix is to find and rename the file.  Here are some suggestions on
how to do this if you're having trouble just checking it out.

A checkout should tell you how far its getting before the filename
becomes a problem, and narrow down finding a problem file in the
repository.

You can use 'svn ls URL' to look for the problem filename without
checking it out, and svn mv URL1 URL2 to move the file to a better
filename without needing it checked out.

-- Sarah

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:04, Markus Fried <ma...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
> it's not a file I put into SVN that causes the problem - it seems that SVN attached a kind of time stamp for one of its book keeping files in the .svn folder.
>
> So I cannot use your solution.

My organization uses Subversion exclusively with Windows clients and
we have never seen this behavior. Subversion isn't doing what you
describe above, that filename was put into your repository by someone.

Posted by Markus Fried <ma...@gmx.net>.
Hi Ryan,

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.