Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Axel Werner <ma...@awerner.homeip.net> on 2011/11/11 12:46:25 UTC

Problems and suggestions on Tapestry 5 Tutorial

Hi there,

im recently trying to learn tapestry5 from the ground up using the
tutorial provided at
http://tapestry.apache.org/using-beaneditform-to-create-user-forms.html .

There i figgured (at least for me) some major Problems or Missing parts
in the Tutorial i wanted to report in for some expert to re-check and
update/complete the tutorial.

1.
basic projects starting using manualy installed maven and command line
interface. cool thing! but whats next? should i start any tapestry
project using the maven on command line and import the thing into
eclipse now? what about "how to start a basic tapestry5 project from
within eclipse?" ?? just a suggestion/feature request for the tutorial.

2.
major problem here:
A tutorial should be linear/continuisly. so that one point leads into
the other, without breaks or missing stuff. I found a place where i miss
at least several realy important things that BLOCKS me yet from
continuing the tutorial.

That is
http://tapestry.apache.org/using-beaneditform-to-create-user-forms.html
, especialy the section about "adding validation".

If you play through the tutorial step by step like i did, you will get
lost here!

Sime paragraph says: "Update the getter methods for the lastName,..." -
but WHERE?? No mention anywhere. You know it? Good! I dont, and i got
lost here.
I "assumed" it may go into the address.java (struct style) class, but if
you do it, it will FAIL, since there are other important things to know
or to do which are NOT MENTIONED in the tutorial.

PLEASE fix that! Only experts can fix that. Those who need Tutorials
dont know what n where to do here.

Some apreciation: till here the tutorial is quite good and i love it!
pls keep up the good work, complete/fix the tutorial and maybe even add
some additional chapters.

Hopefully my report/suggestion will find its way to the author/maker of
the tutorial.

Thanks n c u

Axel Werner

Re: Problems and suggestions on Tapestry 5 Tutorial

Posted by Emmanuel DEMEY <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi Axel

Please fill a JIRA with all your bugs/errors/ideas. And one of us will be
pleased to make the tutorial more efficient.

Manu

2011/11/11 Axel Werner <ma...@awerner.homeip.net>

> ADDITIONAL BUG REPORT 2:
> There seem to be A LOT OF ERRORS/MISTAKES in this tutorial.
>
> at http://tapestry.apache.org/**using-tapestry-with-hibernate.**html<http://tapestry.apache.org/using-tapestry-with-hibernate.html>
> there is mentioned a file
>
> src/main/java/org/apache/**tapestry5/tutorial/entities/**Address.java
>
> which DOES NOT MATCH the package path that is used in this tapestry5
> tutorial!
>
> someone like me which is still pretty new to the whole java world will
> have trouble fixing this error.
>
> The correct tutorial packet path should be: src/main/java/com/example/**
> tutorial1/entities/address.**java i guess.
>
> PLease re-check by following the whole tutorial step by step, and you will
> run into errors/blockings.
>

>> Thanks n c u
>>
>> Axel Werner

Emmanuel DEMEY
Ingénieur Etude et Développement
ATOS Worldline
+33 (0)6 47 47 42 02
demey.emmanuel@gmail.com
http://emmanueldemey.fr

Twitter : @gillespie59

Re: Problems and suggestions on Tapestry 5 Tutorial

Posted by Axel Werner <ma...@awerner.homeip.net>.
ADDITIONAL BUG REPORT 2: