Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Shailesh Samudrala <sh...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/24 02:45:25 UTC

How to specify delimiter in Hive select query

I'm querying a Hive table on my cluster, (*select * from <table_name>;*)
and writing this select output to output file using (*INSERT OVERWRITE
DIRECTORY*). When the I open the output file, I see that the columns are
delimited by Hive's default delimiter (*^A or ctrl-A*).

So my question is, is there a way I can select data from the table and use
a tab or space delimiter?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Shailesh

Re: How to specify delimiter in Hive select query

Posted by Jagat Singh <ja...@gmail.com>.
This is not possible till hive 0.10 in hive 0.11 there is patch to do.this.

You can insert to some temp.table with required delimiter or use some pig
action to.replace afterwards.

Or best use hive 0.11

Posted by Jagat Singh <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jagat Singh <ja...@gmail.com>.