Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> on 2014/05/28 23:08:45 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] - Change Primary IP Address

On 05/28/2014 04:36 PM, Alex Hitchins wrote:
> All, I'd like to submit the below proposal. This can also be found here :
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/New+API+call+to+chang
> e+Primary+IP+address+after+VM+creation+in+Advanced+Zones
>
> I've started looking into this project although before anything is written
> I'd like community thoughts and feedback.

Why only Advanced? I think this feature would benefit Basic Zone
networks as well.

I know that a lot of public cloud offerings use the Basic Zone
networking and would love to see this feature.

Wido

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
Although it appears to be trivial, you have to take care of PF and LB rules that might already exist to the old IP.

From: Chiradeep Vittal <ch...@citrix.com>>
Date: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM
To: "dev@cloudstack.apache.org<ma...@cloudstack.apache.org>" <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] - Change Primary IP Address

Curious: What is the reason to change the primary IP?  Quite un-cloudy.

@Wido: changing the IP in basic zone is quite involved, not just changing a dnsmasq entry.

From: Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>>
Date: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 2:08 PM
To: "dev@cloudstack.apache.org<ma...@cloudstack.apache.org>" <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>>

Subject: New API call to change Primary IP address after VM creation in
[...]

E: alex@alexhitchins.com<ma...@alexhitchins.com>
W: alexhitchins.com
M: 07788 423 969
T: 01892 523 587

RE: [PROPOSAL] - Change Primary IP Address

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com>.
(slightly biased) +1

I see very few 'purist cloud' implementations.  At best they are a mix.

And the only way to enable organisations to make the transition to 'cloud' using CloudStack is to enable them to migrate their workloads;

Traditional without CloudStack -> traditional with CloudStack -> mix of traditional and cloudy (PoCs etc) -> mix of traditional and cloudy production -> cloudy production on CloudStack

Most organisations are unlikely to reach the purist cloud infra because of legacy applications.

Regards,

Paul Angus
Cloud Architect
S: +44 20 3603 0540 | M: +447711418784 | T: @CloudyAngus
paul.angus@shapeblue.com

From: Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>>
Date: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 2:08 PM
To: "dev@cloudstack.apache.org<ma...@cloudstack.apache.org>" <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>>

Subject: New API call to change Primary IP address after VM creation in Advanced Zones.

[...]

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Alex Hitchins <al...@alexhitchins.com>.
Wido,

It's something I'll look into over time however there are a few more
complexities to overcome with a basic zone. Once Advanced has been done
hopefully Basic will follow shortly behind.

Alex Hitchins | 07788 423 969 | 01892 523 587