Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by "S.Fuller" <st...@gmail.com> on 2022/10/13 14:28:38 UTC

Dissimilar host OS within the same cluster - Not allowed?

I am working to transition the host OS for my Cloudstack 4.11.3 hosts from
CentOS to Ubuntu. I was able successfully bring up a new Ubuntu host with
Cloudstack and wanted to have it be part of an existing cluster, but after
attempting to add the server I'm noting the following warning in the agent
log file

"Can't add host: XX.XX.XX.XX with hostOS: Ubuntu into a cluster,in which
there are CentOS hosts added"

Is this really the case? I did not see anything obvious in the
documentation about this.  I was able to successfully add the new Ubuntu
server into a new cluster within the same POD, and have it see storage,
networking, etc, so the host itself appears to be configured correctly.

--
Steve Fuller
stevefuller@gmail.com

Re: Dissimilar host OS within the same cluster - Not allowed?

Posted by "S.Fuller" <st...@gmail.com>.
Yeah. Started playing around with it a little bit in a test setup and while
adding the host to the cluster by modifying the script worked, it appears
that there's a number of things like binaries and their locations that are
keyed off of the host OS type. Appears that it might be easier to realign
expectations vs moving down this particular road.

Posted by Eric Green <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "S.Fuller" <st...@gmail.com>.
...and of course 30 seconds after I hit send on this message, I find the
very obvious line in the documentation about this. I was hoping I could add
these new servers to the same cluster and use maintenance mode to migrate
the KVM workloads over to the new hosts. Unfor, it appears my only
choice is going to be a much more gradual migration and coordinating
workload shutdowns, unless anyone has developed a better method?

Posted by Nux <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
OR you can modify the existing entries in the table to say "Ubuntu",
this might be easier actually as it doesn't require messing with the
shell script.

Be careful though as upon restart cloudstack-agent might check the OS
again and update the table, so keep an eye on it.

---
Nux
www.nux.ro