Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Fernando Antolin <fe...@web.de> on 2004/04/23 07:59:59 UTC

Spanish docu translations ?!

Hi there!

Why isn't there anyone supervising the translation projects?

It cannot be too difficult to establish translation groups for every
language.

Well, it would be quite easier to see if there is someone working on a
language or if the documentation hasn't been translated since two years
ago... see spanish docu... e.g. http://quark.fe.up.pt/ApachES/

Hope you understand my constructive critics.

Yours,
Fernando

Re: Spanish docu translations ?!

Posted by Jani Mikkonen <ja...@mikkonen.org>.
André Malo wrote:

>* Jani Mikkonen <ja...@mikkonen.org> wrote:
>

>>>http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/translations.html
>>>
>>>People just need to drop a note here if they want to be listed. I think,
>>>it's not really necessary to make that file dynamic, it doesn't change
>>>that often ;-)
>>>

>>Lets compare that to:
>>http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.6/
>>
>>I can understand that translation for gui stuff is more urgent than
>>documentation for apache documentation but as i closely follow gnome
>>development too, i think their approach is much more "enabling" for
>>those who really want to help and thus i see Fernando's suggestion quite
>>appropriate atleast in some levels.
>>

>As far as I can see, translating or even contributing to the docs of an
>"administrator-like" software like Apache is just not attractive enough to
>get such a lot of people.
>
>nd

Yes, that why i pointed out (hopefully) that it might not allways be the
best idea. But if im thinking myself for example, i am (or was)
administrator and i've allways had some ideas that i could donate
something back to apache project but technical means are not enabling me
to do that. I'm quite busy keeping my daywork and family going so,
making things easy to do translations aint that bad thing. And even now,
there's people talking about that translations are not getting to the
public but are lost in some patches in the mailing list. That is not
very nice thing for those who haven taken the time and help out apache.

So my serious question is: Why hog all the work for people who are not
doing them ?

--
           \|||/
           (o o)

Re: Spanish docu translations ?!

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.

Posted by Jani Mikkonen <ja...@mikkonen.org>.

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Fernando Antolin <fe...@web.de> wrote:

> I was talking about creating a supervisor page so that a newcomer can
> easily see whom he has to deal with and which pages are translated yet
> and which not. Well, if you look at the official spanish apache doc
> website, you would easily notify that this project isn't running any
> more. It's more or less dead.
>
> Isn't there any possibility to establish an web interface for every
> language? Well, i'm sure it can be realized with only one simple php and
> a small mysql or text database.

Oh there's already a small page listing translations we know of:

Posted by Fernando Antolin <fe...@web.de>.
Hi André!

I was talking about creating a supervisor page so that a newcomer can
easily see whom he has to deal with and which pages are translated yet
and which not. Well, if you look at the official spanish apache doc
website, you would easily notify that this project isn't running any
more. It's more or less dead.

Isn't there any possibility to establish an web interface for every
language? Well, i'm sure it can be realized with only one simple php and
a small mysql or text database.

Yours,
Fernando

---

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.

Re: Spanish Apache 2.0 docu translation submission

Posted by Blanco <bl...@bitrock.com>.
Hi,

I have backported the Apache 2.1 documentation we had already
translated. The differences are minimal. The files attached have the
<!-- English Revision x.y.z --> added. I hope I inserted it at the right
place :)
The files have been reviewed by Daniel Lopez.

The files attached are:
manual/install.xml.es
manual/invoking.xml.es
manual/stopping.xml.es
manual/mpm.xml.es
manual/filter.xml.es
manual/handler.xml.es
manual/glossary.xml.es
manual/sitemap.xml.es

Jesus Blanco                         www.bitrock.com
Product Manager
e: blanco @ bitrock.com   t: +34 669 23 43 57  f: +34 954 502 697

Re: Spanish Apache 2.0 docu translation submission

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Jesus Blanco <je...@supercable.es> wrote:

> I have backported the Apache 2.1 documentation we had already
> translated. The differences are minimal. The files attached have the
> <!-- English Revision x.y.z --> added. I hope I inserted it at the right
> place :)

As far as it's in one line, it's recognized everywhere. The earlier the
better (just a performance issue).

> The files have been reviewed by Daniel Lopez.

Committed. One more note: I've adjusted the copyright date to 2004
only, since your files are not from 2002 ;-)

Thanks.

nd
--
"Das Verhalten von Gates hatte mir bewiesen, dass ich auf ihn und seine
beiden Gefährten nicht zu zählen brauchte" -- Karl May, "Winnetou III"

Im Westen was neues: <http://pub.perlig.de/books.html#apache2>

Re: Spanish Apache 2.0 docu translation submission

Posted by Blanco <bl...@bitrock.com>.
Oooops! Sorry, I sent three times the same thing to the mailing list.
The files attached are exactly the same in the three mails.

Posted by Blanco <bl...@bitrock.com>.
Hi,

I have backported the Apache 2.1 documentation we had already
translated. The differences are minimal. The files attached have the
<!-- English Revision x.y.z --> line added. I hope I inserted it at the right

Re: Spanish docu translation submission

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com> wrote:

> > Thank you folks again. Committed.
> >
> > Just to say again, you're currently translating the docs of the 2.1
> > developer version. So far your submissions will not appear in 2.0.x
> > versions (except for es.xml and manual.es.xsl). You would need to checkout
> > the APACHE_2_0_BRANCH for backports.
> > If you need further explanations and/or help, please just ask.
>
> Yes, we are working on that, the differences are minimal, Jesus should be
> mailing those soon. Do you prefer patches against 2.1 or the full files?

Cool. I just wanted to make sure, that it was clear :)
Full files are better, however.

nd
--
Gefunden auf einer "Webdesigner"-Seite:

# André Malo # http://www.perlig.de/ #

Re: Spanish docu translation submission

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.
> Thank you folks again. Committed.
>
> Just to say again, you're currently translating the docs of the 2.1 developer
> version. So far your submissions will not appear in 2.0.x versions (except
> for es.xml and manual.es.xsl). You would need to checkout the
> APACHE_2_0_BRANCH for backports.
> If you need further explanations and/or help, please just ask.

Yes, we are working on that, the differences are minimal, Jesus should be
mailing those soon. Do you prefer patches against 2.1 or the full files?

Best regards

Daniel

Re: Spanish docu translation submission

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Blanco <bl...@bitrock.com> wrote:

> Attached to this file there is a new version of the es.xml including the
> out-of-date message and a shorter traslation for "Available Languages"
>
> Attached to this file there is a traslation of the sitemap.xml file that
> has been reviewed by Daniel Lopez as well.

Thank you folks again. Committed.

Just to say again, you're currently translating the docs of the 2.1 developer
version. So far your submissions will not appear in 2.0.x versions (except
for es.xml and manual.es.xsl). You would need to checkout the
APACHE_2_0_BRANCH for backports.
If you need further explanations and/or help, please just ask.

nd
--
"Solides und umfangreiches Buch"
                                          -- aus einer Rezension

Posted by Blanco <bl...@bitrock.com>.
Hi Andre,

Thanks very much for your comments!

> es.xml was missing the (new) out-of-date message. Currently there's
> the English one included. You might want to translate it as well. Further I'd
> really like to get the "Available Languages" translation a bit shorter ;-) Is
> this possible?

Attached to this file there is a new version of the es.xml including the
out-of-date message and a shorter traslation for "Available Languages"

> Additionally please add
>
> <!-- English Revision: x.y.z -->
>
> lines to your files,
> since there's an out-of-date checker in the build script, which determines
> exactly these lines. I'm going to add these lines manually for now.

Thanks. I will add that line in the next submissions

> Finally - just for your info. Once the sitemap.xml has been translated, we are
> able to generate spanish CHM files (the toc bases on the sitemap).

Attached to this file there is a traslation of the sitemap.xml file that
has been reviewed by Daniel Lopez as well.

Thanks again!

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Blanco <bl...@bitrock.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been working on translating the Apache 2.0 documentation to
> Spanish. I attach the first files I have translated. They have been
> reviewed by Daniel Lopez, but it would be good if other Spanish speakers
> can have a look as well.
>
> The files attached are:
> manual/install.xml.es
> manual/invoking.xml.es
> manual/stopping.xml.es
> manual/mpm.xml.es
> manual/filter.xml.es
> manual/handler.xml.es
> manual/glossary.xml.es
> style/manual.es.xsl
> style/lang/es.xml

Thanks!

Note that the docs are actually for 2.1. (Yes, the snapshots are badly
misnamed). You might want to compare with the 2.0 files and backport your
translations.

Winnetous Erbe: <http://pub.perlig.de/books.html#apache2>

Spanish docu translation submission

Posted by Blanco <bl...@bitrock.com>.
Hi,

I have been working on translating the Apache 2.0 documentation to
Spanish. I attach the first files I have translated. They have been
reviewed by Daniel Lopez, but it would be good if other Spanish speakers
can have a look as well.

The files attached are:
manual/install.xml.es
manual/invoking.xml.es
manual/stopping.xml.es
manual/mpm.xml.es
manual/filter.xml.es
manual/handler.xml.es
manual/glossary.xml.es
style/manual.es.xsl
style/lang/es.xml

Additionally, we are working on
manual/mod/index.xml.es
manual/mod/quickreference.xml.es
manual/mod/directives.xml.es
manual/mod/beos.xml.es
manual/programs/index.xml.es
and should submit those soon.

We have been following the conventions/terms in other Spanish linux
documentation projects and used XML entities for Spanish special
characters and tildes. We have also tried to follow the conventions for
documentation in the Apache site, please let us know if we have missed
anything or we need to do anything differently.

The translations are based on httpd-docs-2.0_20040401171710.tar.gz

Posted by Fernando Antolin <fe...@web.de>.
Thanks Joshua!
Thank ASF!

I don't know why, but the fact is that i receive your mails twice every
time.

Thanks for your fast responses,

Fernando Antolin
Web & Network Design