Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Uwe Hostmann <Uw...@alcatel-lucent.de> on 2009/02/18 11:14:27 UTC

tomcat5.5.23 and localization

Hi,

in former tomcat versions (under different OS) static page
"<docBase>/start.html.en" was found under appropriate locale conditions
for URL ".../start.html" . Now, I get that the requested resource is not
available (link from start.html.en to start.html works fine) although I
tried, e.g., different browser language settings (en/en_US) and played
around with export LANG=en_US.iso88591 when starting tomcat. Formerly
the language suffixes were an easy method to distinguish language
dependent static html files, gif's etc.
I'm looking for a tutorial how to handle localization aspects under
tomcat but found only a tomcat3 note where locale dependency handling
was described (in a way a bit different from the above suffix usage but
very similar: but this didn't help either with tomcat5.5.23.

Tx. Rgds.   Ho.

--
Uwe Hostmann
TietoEnator

Phone +49 (0)30 7002-3926
Fax +49 (0)30 7002-4780
Email Uwe.Hostmann@alcatel-lucent.de
http://www.tietoenator.com

Re: tomcat5.5.23 and localization

Posted by Uwe Hostmann <Uw...@alcatel-lucent.de>.
Tx.

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.

Posted by Uwe Hostmann <Uw...@alcatel-lucent.de>.
Hi Mark,

Mark Thomas wrote:
> Uwe Hostmann wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>in former tomcat versions (under different OS) static page
>>"<docBase>/start.html.en"
>

> That has not been the case for as long as I can remember. Are you
> thinking of httpd?

tx. for the question:

we use apache between client and tomcat. I changed from mod_jk to
mod_proxy_ajp and, thereby, the httpd directives. I'm not sure now

- whether static files were in the preceding version handled by
   either tomcat or apache although below docBase of tomcat
- what is the situation now.

Only if you can answer quickly: can you conclude from the following
snippets who (apache or tomcat) is responsible for the static file
.../scripting/manual/start.html.en?:

################

from server.xml (both cases):

       <Host name="<DNSNAME>"
appBase="<NMS_INSTANCE_DIR>/ScriptingServer/webapps"
        unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
        workDir="<NMS_INSTANCE_DIR>/var/ScriptingServer/work"
         <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn" />
         <Context path="/scripting"
docBase="<NMS_INSTANCE_DIR>/ScriptingServer/webapps/scripting"
allowLinking="true" debug="0" reloadable="true"
          workDir="<NMS_INSTANCE_DIR>/var/ScriptingServer/work">
         </Context>

#################

from httpd.conf (preceding):

Alias /scripting "<NMS_INSTANCE_DIR>/ScriptingServer/webapps/scripting"

<Directory "<NMS_INSTANCE_DIR>/ScriptingServer/webapps/scripting">
         AddLanguage en .en
         AddLanguage de .de
</Directory>

#JkMount /*.jsp     ajp13
JkMount /servlet/* ajp13
JkMount /scripting/servlet/* ajp13

#################

from httpd.conf (now):

Alias /scripting "<NMS_INSTANCE_DIR>/ScriptingServer/webapps/scripting"

<Directory "<NMS_INSTANCE_DIR>/ScriptingServer/webapps/scripting">
         AddLanguage en .en
         AddLanguage de .de
</Directory>

   ProxyPass /servlet ajp://localhost:<CMC_SCRIPTING_AJP13_PORT_1>/servlet
   ProxyPassReverse /servlet
ajp://localhost:<CMC_SCRIPTING_AJP13_PORT_1>/servlet
   ProxyPass /scripting
ajp://localhost:<CMC_SCRIPTING_AJP13_PORT_1>/scripting
   ProxyPassReverse /scripting
ajp://localhost:<CMC_SCRIPTING_AJP13_PORT_1>/scripting
   ProxyPass /scripting/servlet
ajp://localhost:<CMC_SCRIPTING_AJP13_PORT_1>/scripting/servlet
   ProxyPassReverse /scripting/servlet
ajp://localhost:<CMC_SCRIPTING_AJP13_PORT_

In each case, thanks for your suggestive question.

Best regards   Ho.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.