Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Sergey Beryozkin <se...@iona.com> on 2007/01/25 18:12:39 UTC

Attachment support in XML binding and ProviderChainObserver (Was : Mime support...)

Hi

Renamed the subject to better reflect the topic of this thread.
I've spent a bit of time trying to make a test verifyiing attachments can be handled by Provider<Source> implementations working and finally I found what seems to be the last
stumbling block.

As it happens, all in-interceptors for Provider-based endpoints, specifically the ones added at XMLBinding creation time, are cleared away in ProviderChainObserver::onMessage() :

endpoint.getBinding().getInInterceptors().clear();

endpoint.getBinding().getInInterceptors().add(new DispatchInInterceptor());

As Eoghan explained to me, this is in fact compatible with the JAX-WS spec, as Providers are willing to deal with Sources (XML) directly, so any XMLBinding interceptors required to serve SEI endpoints.

Unfortunately, the way it's done at the moment causes a problem in case of the attachments coming in a multpart/related package, simply because AttachmentInInterceptors required to deserialize the message properly so that a root part of the mutlipart/related package can be presented as a Source, is cleared away. Actually, as far as I understand, the same problem would apply to Provider<Source> provideres served by HTTPBinding.

So what would be the best way to solve this problem ? Several options are possible.

* In ProviderChainObserver::onMessage() explictly add AttachmentInInterceptors in front of the DispatchInInterceptor, simpliest solution possibly, but not generic.

* clear away only those interceptors which are not instanceof certain AbstractInterceptor types so that interceptors to do with the (de)serializing, logging, etc can be left in the chain

* Update base Interceptor interface to have a method like getType() or smth like that so that binding interceptors dealing with SEI invocatins can be removed...

I'd aprerciate some feedback on this.

By the way, I've just found that by implementing Provider<DataSource> (with Service.MODE=Message), I can actually get all the raw data coming in, be they in XMl or not XML format, and also I can serve GET requests by returning non-XML data. This is great. Only thing is that it's much handier to deal with Map<String, DataHandler> then parsing all the attchment stuff manually :-) so once the pacth is applied I'd consider doing Provider<Source>. Only minor issue is that text/xml is set as Content-Type all the time, but it's a minor issue indeed.

Cheers, Sergey

Hi

What's the recommended approach for setting uninitilzied properties in JAXWS.
For ex, if message.getAttachments() returns null then should I add an empty map as
a MessageContext.INBOUND_ATTACHMENT_VALUE ? I'd prefer adding the empty map,
this would probably be consistent with the way other similar values are being setup..but I can add nothing in case of unitialized attachments if it would more consistent with the way CXF inits properties...
Thanks, Sergey

Re: Attachment support in XML binding and ProviderChainObserver (Was : Mime support...)

Posted by James Mao <ja...@iona.com>.
Hi,

> * In ProviderChainObserver::onMessage() explictly add
> AttachmentInInterceptors in front of the DispatchInInterceptor,
> simpliest solution possibly, but not generic.
>
> * clear away only those interceptors which are not instanceof certain
> AbstractInterceptor types so that interceptors to do with the
> (de)serializing, logging, etc can be left in the chain
>
> * Update base Interceptor interface to have a method like getType() or
> smth like that so that binding interceptors dealing with SEI
> invocatins can be removed...

The first approach is the easiest way. and also make sense.

Cheers,
James.

Re: Attachment support in XML binding and ProviderChainObserver (Was : Mime support...)

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <se...@iona.com>.
Hi

Would it suffice if I do this :

* In ProviderChainObserver::onMessage() explictly add AttachmentInInterceptors in front of the DispatchInInterceptor, simpliest solution possibly, but not generic

for a start ?

endpoint.getBinding().getInInterceptors().clear();
endpoint.getBinding().getInInterceptors().add(new AttachmentInInterceptor());
endpoint.getBinding().getInInterceptors().add(new DispatchInInterceptor());

With this change my test works just fine. Provider<Source> implementation gets the root part of the multipart/related body as a Source and then it can get any other remaining parts from MessageContext as a Map<String, DataHandler> by using MessageContext.INCOMING_MESSAGE_ATTACHMENTS.

Obviosuly for SOAP XML providers, they'll have to handle XOP root body themselves with xop:Includes, but this root part will passed to them as a Source and then they would be able to retrieve all the included parts form the Map...

I reckon having an explicit AttachmentInInterceptor() in ProviderChainObserver::onMessage() won't harm in . Without it, Provider<Source> implementaions just don't work if a multipart/related message is sent to them... Not a very big deal perhaps, as one can do Provider<DataSource> to get a non-XML input, but in this case multipart/related parts will have to be parsed manually...