Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by highpointe <hi...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/30 08:29:42 UTC

Real time dynamic data and hbase

We are attempting to build what is akin to a CRM (but not).

Our backend is an interface in which clients can control the variables of their assets offering; the variables of the template they use act as the over call on the Db.

Within the UI, they have the ability to set thresholds for variables (once reached the variable is ejected and in essence a completely new template is created).

The variables can change rapidly throughout the day so speed on updates and being able to always have the latest template data sets on the front end (as simple search engine) is a priority.

I have gone through numerous schema in my head but cannot seem to figure our the automating of the process of expiring data and introducing new variables on the fly without a complete reindex of the table.

Any help with architecture ideas would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

H-p

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Real time dynamic data and hbase

Posted by high pointe <hi...@gmail.com>.
Very interesting.

Have you deployed such a setup?  How is the performance?  It seems it would
require  quite a bit more than commodity hardware.

H-p

Posted by lohit <lo...@gmail.com>.

--
Have a Nice Day!
Lohit

RE: Real time dynamic data and hbase

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
I don't understand why you're having trouble with this.
You have a simple geo location search based on zip and then a product and inventory count.
I mean its not really geo-spatial because you're searching based on zip code.  So you don't need to worry about any sort of geospatial or geodetic components.

Note: This really isn't a problem that is solved by HBase but better solved by a relational model (RDBMs)

This sounds more like a homework problem than a real problem....

But here's a free clue.
You don't index on inventory count.
You filter the vendors on the client side or just add a filter to your query.

Sorry but as you describe it, its really a trivial problem.
(Which is why I think its a homework assignment.)

-Mike

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

You still need to organize your vendors by delivery zip.
Which gets very ugly when you try <product code> <grocerCode>.

This will work, where you have columns for price, qty on hand , sku, etc...

The problem gets worse when you consider some vendors have multiple warehouses and ship to multiple zips from a warehouse so you have a bit of a problem when you
want to place an order and update your inventory count.

NoSQL databases like HBase don't have transactions.

You want to try it and set it like
<product><vendor> and then have a column for each zip that it delivers to, and/or  a column for each warehouse that contains a map of the zip codes and a column for each warehouse that contains the inventory count?
You can do this but again, you lack transactional concepts which make this a non-optimal solution.

Also this works if you're selecting vendors based on a product. Like I want Apples delivered to 44124 (Pepper Pike/Beachwood OH).
Not well for find me all of the grocers who ship to 44124 and get a list of their products.

HTH

-Mike

PS. This is why its a good relational problem and not a good big data. You can do it as a big data, but you end up with an ugly solution.

Posted by highpointe <hi...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for your input. I think I am closer to a solution that will work.

Cheers.

H-p

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Sonal Goyal <so...@gmail.com>.