Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk> on 2005/08/19 22:54:39 UTC

Integration with other php and other apache driven apps.

I am trying to plan how I might manage my complete web site(s) as I further
integrate tapestry into what I am doing.   I am using tomcat (4.1) as the
servlet container, apache2 as the static content provider (the two are linked
via jk_mod).

One area that I don't yet know how to address is integration of other
applications that are totally served by apache.  That is mainly mailman and
gallery.

One idea is to manage the border and navigation via tapestry and render an
<iframe> to cause the browser to load the other application directly in the
content area.  The downside of this is complex url management to ensure
apache can still source the correct stuff, even though the root context is
likely to be tomcat/tapestry - and lack of information back to the navigation
class in tapestry about exactly where in the subframe the user has navigated
himself to.

On possible alternative is to set up the other applications to be serviced by
apache on another (firewalled off) port on localhost, and serve all external
requests directly by tomcat/tapestry. In this case, I could ensure 3rd party
content is rendered by tapestry by reading the response from an external url
passing it directly through.  I would need a component that did that.

Anyone done anything similar who could help? or point me in the right
direction?
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Re: Integration with other php and other apache driven apps.

Posted by Mark Wilcox <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alan,
It sounds like you need to be looking more at a portal application
server instead of just trying to figure out how to cobble a tapestry
application together.

Portals are all about integrating disparate content together and with
JSR-168 support in Tapestry-4, it's simple to build portal
applications w/ Tapestry.

I know that seems a bit heavy-handed - but based on your description
that is what I would recommend to do because for short-term pain of
setting up a portal - you will get longer term benefits in terms of
flexibility and maintainence.

I would lean towards LifeRay or uPortal as my portal servers but
there's several to choose from out there.

Mark