Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Paul Sutton <pa...@ukweb.com> on 1997/06/07 15:34:37 UTC

Binary inconsistencies

I'm a bit confused about what modules should be built into the
pre-compiled binaries. Some OSes have just the basic set, while others
have many more modules (e.g. compare Linux with Irix 5.3).

Anyway, the point is that if binaries can have different modules
configured for various reasons, this should be documented in binaries.html
(I.e. how do we pick which modules to include in the binary). If I want to
do a linux1 version (which is has a couple of conf.h differences to the
linux2 currently available) which modules do I pick? Does it matter if
linux1 binaries have different modules to linux2?

This could make support in c.i.w.s.u difficult. Even if someone gives
their OS and version for the binary they downloaded, I wouldn't know which
modules are in that binary. So I'd like a reference document which lists
which modules are available in each binary. Then at least we'd know if a
"/server-status doesn't work" or "proxy doesn't work" error was due to a
misconfiguration or a binary which does not include the relevant module.

//pcs

Re: Binary inconsistencies

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Sat, 7 Jun 1997, Paul Sutton wrote:

> I'm a bit confused about what modules should be built into the
> pre-compiled binaries. Some OSes have just the basic set, while others
> have many more modules (e.g. compare Linux with Irix 5.3).
>
> Anyway, the point is that if binaries can have different modules
> configured for various reasons, this should be documented in binaries.html
> (I.e. how do we pick which modules to include in the binary). If I want to
> do a linux1 version (which is has a couple of conf.h differences to the
> linux2 currently available) which modules do I pick? Does it matter if
> linux1 binaries have different modules to linux2?

I tried to suggest a common set, but the idea wasn't really taken up...

> This could make support in c.i.w.s.u difficult. Even if someone gives
> their OS and version for the binary they downloaded, I wouldn't know which
> modules are in that binary. So I'd like a reference document which lists
> which modules are available in each binary. Then at least we'd know if a
> "/server-status doesn't work" or "proxy doesn't work" error was due to a
> misconfiguration or a binary which does not include the relevant module.

I don't know that a document is needed, but it could be documented that to
find out just do a ./httpd -l