Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Andrey Stelmashenko <an...@jbs.com.ua> on 2012/01/27 14:13:25 UTC

Apache Camel applicability

Hello, Community!

I work on a project design and consider using of apache camel. I
looked through the documentation, I liked it! I see that I may need
components and message translators. But I doubt in a way I`m going to
use it.
Here is some brief overview of a project goal:

The project is a mediator, let it be project M. project M will be a
client of several third party systems S1,S2,S3...
Also there is a project A which will use M to get aggregated data from
third party systems (S1,S2..) in some intermediate object model.

Scenario I plan to use apache camel is:

project A makes call to project M which makes several calls to systems
S1, S2 ..., translates object model from S1, S2... into A object model
and returns result to A.

Is the above scenario is normal for the use of apache camel?

Thank you.

--
sincerely yours
Developer at JBS

Re: Apache Camel applicability

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Andrey Stelmashenko
<an...@jbs.com.ua> wrote:
> Hello, Community!
>
> I work on a project design and consider using of apache camel. I
> looked through the documentation, I liked it! I see that I may need
> components and message translators. But I doubt in a way I`m going to
> use it.
> Here is some brief overview of a project goal:
>
> The project is a mediator, let it be project M. project M will be a
> client of several third party systems S1,S2,S3...
> Also there is a project A which will use M to get aggregated data from
> third party systems (S1,S2..) in some intermediate object model.
>
> Scenario I plan to use apache camel is:
>
> project A makes call to project M which makes several calls to systems
> S1, S2 ..., translates object model from S1, S2... into A object model
> and returns result to A.
>
> Is the above scenario is normal for the use of apache camel?

Yes this is a prime example of using Apache Camel.

To integrate different IT systems as a mediator. And with routing capabilities.

Camel offers a lot of transports and data formats out of the box. And
if something is missing
you can built it yourself.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: Apache Camel applicability

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
The is a common camel use case that we call web-enabling (or
web-servicizing) legacy applications. For various reasons (usually
related to protocols or security) we need to put a proxy in front of a
legacy app.

Things you need to pay attention to:
* the protocol and interface exposed by M. Usually (REST) web services
are your best friend, camel-cxf is an excellent bet, but not the only
one; you want to decouple A from M as much as possible
* scalability issues; pay attention to how you manage state and prefer
async to sync when possible.

In my experience with camel you get results faster if you start small
and grow incrementally in small steps. If you have questions, ask.

I hope this helps,
Hadrian

--
Hadrian Zbarcea