Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "michal.maczka" <mi...@cqs.ch> on 2003/04/10 10:39:54 UTC

New Powered by Logo

I have question related to new "Powered By" Logo.

Why is uses the symbol of communism?

I know that some people might find it funny, but for a lot
of other people is a symbol from the same category as the swastika.
So for some people is could be rather offensive.
Is there a chance to replace it with something more neutral
and politically correct?

Michal

Re: New Powered by Logo

Posted by Florin Vancea <fv...@maxiq.ro>.
It's the star Michal was complaining about.

And please understand me well (as the other post shows): I'm only saying
that the logo contest was not very visible if looking only at the dev list.

As about "to star or not to star", I guess it's all water under the bridge
anyway.

Florin

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

>Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> wrote on 12/04/2003 10:08:24 AM:
>

>>I did.
>>Actually - can you tell me how many cans are in a slab?
>>It's been a while and I forgotten the dimensions.
>>

>24 last time I looked - enough for one person @ a B&S ball :)

Doesn't sound right.

I remember a late night of gambling with about $1200 (AUD) on the table
and I managed to clean up the lot - only problem was that there was this
social obligation to spend this on the aquisition on 18 slabs plus
assorted other supporting beverages - I seem to remember that there were
about 9 of us - which translates to 2 slabs per person.

>>On artistic and stylistic merit the logo is really great!
>>Maybe you should do what the French do - a runoff election.  If I
>>understand correctly there were two very candidates - so you go for the
>>presidential prise - put the top two up for a presedential election and
>>the winner takes all.
>>

>I'll leave this one open to the others....anyone want to re-open the comp?

I'm ready to propose a final runoff it someone is ready to second the
motion.

Cheers, Steve.

>--
>dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
>Blog:      http://www.freeroller.net/page/dion/Weblog
>Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org
http://www.osm.net

Re: New Powered by Logo

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.

Re: New Powered by Logo

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Re: New Powered by Logo

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Re: New Powered by Logo

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

RE: New Powered by Logo

Posted by "michal.maczka" <mi...@cqs.ch>.
http://www.edwardmooney.com/flagreport/rep-as.htm -> see the Flag of China
http://www.sierratimes.com/archive/files/oct/03/morse.htm
http://www.nicholasmorigi.com/pages/RedArmy/

One more time: I have personally nothing against this logo.
Just find it __very__radical__ and probably not funny for some persons.
I would rise the issue if it will contain some religious symbols
(specially the ones like 666) which are probably not so obvious.
 Just wanted to signal that some people read
symbols in different ways and from this point of view I think that this is
not the best logo.

>From my side EOT.

Michal

Re: New Powered by Logo

Posted by Florin Vancea <fv...@maxiq.ro>.
It's not like I have any right to say anything, but I would support Michal.
The new logo talk on dev list raised my curiosity, too, but I could not find
any reference on that on Maven homepage, so I dropped the interest.

I'm writing this because it appears that if one did not participate in user
list and/or IRC but only watched the dev list, it had no (obvious) way to

Re: New Powered by Logo

Posted by Ben Walding <de...@walding.com>.

Re: New Powered by Logo

Posted by Florin Vancea <fv...@maxiq.ro>.
It's the idea that's interesting. In my country there were several TV-shows,
music albums and the suite using the same idea:
"This is good-old-propaganda".
And we've had our share of communism, too.

Maybe being able to make fun of it is proof of complete detachment from the
past, whatever that past might be.

Florin