Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Laura Royet <lr...@linagora.com> on 2016/09/13 07:55:55 UTC

Marketing catch phrase for a promoting James website

Hi

I am currently working on a promoting website for James, something that
would look like http://mesos.apache.org/ or https://www.docker.com/
websites to make it easier for someone reaching james.apache.org to
understand what he can do with it. I work closely with Antoine, Benoit,
Matthieu & Raphael to make that happen in time for James 3.0.

I would need your comment about the following marketing catch phrase
I've found (this one is supposed to represent the first and most visible
definition of James appearing on this website)  :

� The Apache James Project aims at providing a a modern Mail Server
product running on the JVM that promotes open standards. It's built from
components so good that other projects integrate them too. Finally, it
aims at being a toolkit to build your own unique Mail Service with
minimal effort. �

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Regards,

Laura Royet

Re: Marketing catch phrase for a promoting James website

Posted by Matthieu Baechler <mb...@linagora.com>.
Thank you Michael for your answer. My comments bellow.

On 09/13/2016 10:21 AM, Michael Bailly wrote:
> Let me try... disclaimer: I have never been a marketing kingpin
>
> "Apache James is a highly scalable, customizable, Open Source email
> server. It is propelled by Java and promotes open standards."
Ok, James in its current state is not highly scalable, I think we should
not trigger to much expectation about that.

Customizable sounds too restrictive : I would really like to emphasis
the fact James can be instantiated as a backup imap store, as a smart
SMTP relay, a full mail server and everything you can think about. Maybe
customizable is enough, but I'm not sure. WDYT ?

Open Source is definitely too restrictive : it's free software (as in
beer and as in speech)

Finally, it's just a detail, but I would not like to close the door to
other JVM languages, so I prefer to say JVM rather than Java.

> Thank you Laura to take care of the James website !

+1

--
Matthieu Baechler

Re: Marketing catch phrase for a promoting James website

Posted by Michael Bailly <mb...@linagora.com>.
Let me try... disclaimer: I have never been a marketing kingpin

"Apache James is a highly scalable, customizable, Open Source email
server. It is propelled by Java and promotes open standards."

Thank you Laura to take care of the James website !

++

Le 13/09/2016 09:55, Laura Royet a �crit :

--
Michael BAILLY
Manager Equipe OpenPaaS

Tel: 06 60 30 21 16
LINAGORA, 80 rue Roque de Fillol - 92800 PUTEAUX