Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> on 2004/03/13 22:16:41 UTC

Re: cvs.apache.org SNAPSHOT repository

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>>If your using your own workstation to build using Maven, then you can
>>set your central-repository property to point to
>>  maven.repo.central=minotaur.apache.org
>>  maven.repo.central.directory=/www/cvs.apache.org/repository/
>>Incubator can gladly be the first to start producing builds here. This
>>is not mirrored, there is no concern about making changes if you screw
>>up a deploy here.
>

> I think that last point is important for infrastructure to know.  And please
> correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the clients (maven in
> this case) will check that location, but only download if they need
> something that hasn't been cached.  Therefore this shouldn't be a big
> bandwidth issue.

Not only that, but it is also the case that only Apache developers
should really be using this (with some bleed). If you look on
cvs.apache.org, you'll also notice that other nightly/snapshot builds
are getting dumped there and are web accessible.

http://cvs.apache.org/dist/
http://cvs.apache.org/builds/
http://cvs.apache.org/snapshots/

So we want to highly disapprove of external projects using this location
at all for getting hold of jars from apache projects. Someday, maybe
we'll have smarter repository tools that can make use of http auth
mechanisms, then this can really be enforced.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer