Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Fabian Lange <fa...@codecentric.de> on 2017/02/23 10:35:15 UTC

WeakZipFileFactory Usage and Bugs?

Hi,
on my quest to eliminate native memory leaks caused by the usage of the
java zip utils, I am not looking at WeakZipFileFactory

was it ever benchmarked if it really makes sense to do that complex
tracking dance?
After startup of my karaf osgi container I see in a memory dump:

1 Instance of WZFF, listing 0 open files and 0 zip Files
122 Instances of WZFF$WZF with status 1 (so OPEN)
as well as 122 Instances of j.u.z.ZF, referenced by these Weak Zip Files
over 122 ZipInflater referenced by the ZipFiles 8and other classes)

shouldn't the factory know that these 122 instances are open?
This probably now leaks the bundles that might be updated.

Would a patch be accepted that completely disables the "caching magic" and
avoids keeping zip files open?

Maybe somebody with knowledge of that caching magic can help me to
understand if I am observing a bug (and ideally also fix this) or if its
working correctly.

Fabian

--
Fabian Lange | Performance Expert
mobil: +49 (0) 160.3673393

codecentric AG | Hochstraße 11 | 42697 Solingen | Deutschland

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Solingen | HRB 25917| Amtsgericht Wuppertal
Vorstand: Michael Hochgürtel . Mirko Novakovic . Rainer Vehns
Aufsichtsrat: Patric Fedlmeier (Vorsitzender) . Klaus Jäger . Jürgen Schütz