Posted to wss4j-dev@ws.apache.org by Fred Dushin <fr...@dushin.net> on 2007/04/13 19:16:14 UTC

WSSecurityEngine.setWssConfig()

Is there any reason for this?  I'm really puzzled as to why there is
a static mutator on this class, and my the (non-static) process
results operations are using statically configured data.

Anyone care if I remove this (in a patch)?  The sources compile and
the tests pass without it.

Thanks,
-Fred

Re: WSSecurityEngine.setWssConfig()

Posted by Fred Dushin <fr...@dushin.net>.
I've been working on a patch that would allow end-users to do a few
things, notably, in this context, to add, remove, or replace the
built-in WSS4J Processors.

I figured the way to do this was to modify the WSSConfig object to
allow a setProcessor operation, which basically lets you key your own
processor off a Qname.  When the WSSecurityEngine walks through the
security header, it can then dispatch out to application code to do
the processing, if necessary.

One of the issues I had with the WSSecurityEngine, though, is that it
uses a static WSSConfig instance to get its processors.  If I were to
change the WSSConfig instance to be in any way stateful (vis a vis
its processors), I need to make the WSSConfig instance on the
WSSecurityEngine non-static.  Otherwise you'd run into all sorts of
weird behavior, e.g., if you have more than one WSSecurityEngine in
process.

I think by removing the operation (or better, my current thinking is
to make it non-static), we'd potentially break some code downstream,
which presumably we don't have a test for.  The projects that need
this could be retooled use the non-static call, but it may be a bad
thing to make this change on a point release.  I presume there are
source and binary compatibility constraints between 1.5.1 and 1.5.2, no?

BTW, I submitted a patch for http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/
WSS-74, but I'd like to hold off for the time being on anyone
applying it.  I ran into some other issues that I'd like to address
first.

Thanks,
-Fred

Posted by Fred Dushin <fr...@dushin.net>.