Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2021/09/18 03:13:52 UTC

IMAP and SMTP "Heartbeat" Tests?

I am in the process of writing AWS Synthetics Canary functions to
continually check the health of the my JAMES IMAP and SMTP servers.  I
know I could set up a full IMAP or SMTP session with id/pw and try to
read mail with imap and send something with smtp.  That would definitely
prove that IMAP and SMTP are up.  But I'm just curious if there are any
simpler heartbeat-type requests that I can make to each server where I
can determine if the servers are still up and running.   I'd prefer not
to have to send an email continually every 5 minutes.  Has anybody got
suggestions for the best way to get do a heartbeat test om IMAP and SMTP?

Thx

Re: IMAP and SMTP "Heartbeat" Tests?

Posted by Tung Tran Van <tu...@gmail.com>.
Hello Jerry,
Did you use guice health checks?
https://james.staged.apache.org/james-project/3.7.0/servers/distributed/operate/webadmin.html#_healthcheck

We already have health checks:
 - Correct application startup
 - For backend components
 - For functionalities like email reception.

The framework to check James overall health is IMO health checks. We could
allow users to write and load health checks as extensions (like mailets).

Regards,
Tung Tran Van

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 10:14 AM Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>
wrote:

> I am in the process of writing AWS Synthetics Canary functions to
> continually check the health of the my JAMES IMAP and SMTP servers.  I
> know I could set up a full IMAP or SMTP session with id/pw and try to
> read mail with imap and send something with smtp.  That would definitely
> prove that IMAP and SMTP are up.  But I'm just curious if there are any
> simpler heartbeat-type requests that I can make to each server where I
> can determine if the servers are still up and running.   I'd prefer not
> to have to send an email continually every 5 minutes.  Has anybody got
> suggestions for the best way to get do a heartbeat test om IMAP and SMTP?
>
> Thx

Tung, Tran Van
*Phone:* (+84) 35 757 6258
*Skype:* tung.tv202