Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org> on 2009/07/05 17:05:46 UTC

new functions in httpd trunk

Hi,
in mpm_common.h there appear now some new functions named ap_mpm_pod_*;
however I can currently find only one C implementation of these
functions in mpm_unix.c - how is it supposed to work for other mpms?
Should each mpm have an adapted copy of these functions in its own files?

Linking Release.o/Apache2.nlm
### mwldnlm Linker Error:
#   Undefined symbol: ap_mpm_pod_check in
#   Export list
### mwldnlm Linker Error:
#   Undefined symbol: ap_mpm_pod_close in
#   Export list
### mwldnlm Linker Error:
#   Undefined symbol: ap_mpm_pod_killpg in
#   Export list
### mwldnlm Linker Error:
#   Undefined symbol: ap_mpm_pod_open in
#   Export list
### mwldnlm Linker Error:
#   Undefined symbol: ap_mpm_pod_signal in
#   Export list

can please someone give me some hints?

thanks, Günter.

Re: new functions in httpd trunk

Posted by Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Hi Jeff,
Jeff Trawick schrieb:
> I think you can just move those functions, and the 2(?) static support
> functions they use, to mpm_common.c.  They're not Unix-specific; they
> just aren't used currently by non-Unix MPMs.
>
> This will add a little extra unused code for Windows and Netware, but
> avoiding that in a general way might be unwieldy:
>
> #if support-loadable-mpms || my-mpm-wants-pod-API
> +
> getting the right symbols defined
>
> so I wouldn't worry about that until somebody can confirm that it is
> instead the bit of unused code built into the server which is unwieldy.
thanks for your info; for now I did just exclude these functions from
export list via one-liner in the awk script; if NetWare needs them in
future then I can still then move these as you suggested.

thanks, Gün.

Re: new functions in httpd trunk

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: new functions in httpd trunk

Posted by Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Hi Jeff,

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> in mpm_common.h there appear now some new functions named ap_mpm_pod_*;
> however I can currently find only one C implementation of these
> functions in mpm_unix.c - how is it supposed to work for other mpms?

What other MPMs need them?  If these are of more general use, we can move
them to mpm_common.

Is your Netware link failing because there is a reference to those functions
somewhere, even though they aren't actually used?  (I don't see where
Netware uses those, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.)

> Should each mpm have an adapted copy of these functions in its own files?

The core should provide these on as wide a set of platforms as they are
actually used (or at least where somebody thinks it would be good to have
them available, for use by some unbundled MPM).