Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mehmet Belgin <me...@oit.gatech.edu> on 2013/02/05 22:41:23 UTC

[HOD] Cannot use env variables in "hodrc"

Hello everyone,

I am setting up Hadoop for the first time, so please bear with me while I ask all these beginner questions :)

I followed the instructions to create a hodrc, but looks like I cannot user env variables in this file:

error: bin/hod failed to start.
error: invalid 'java-home' specified in section hod (--hod.java-home): ${JAVA_HOME}
error: invalid 'batch-home' specified in section resource_manager (--resource_manager.batch-home): ${RM_HOME}

... despite the fact that I have " ${JAVA_HOME}" and "${RM_HOME}" correctly defined in my environment. When I replace these variables with full explicit paths, it works. I checked the permissions, and everything else looks fine.

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Re: [HOD] Cannot use env variables in "hodrc"

Posted by Mehmet Belgin <me...@oit.gatech.edu>.
On a related note, env-vars is also being ignored:

env-vars                        = HOD_PYTHON_HOME=/usr/local/packages/python/2.5.1/bin/python2.5

And hod picks the system-default python and terminates with errors unless I manually export HOD_PYTHON_HOME.

export HOD_PYTHON_HOME=`which python2.5`

I am also having problems having hod use the cluster I created, but I assume those issues are also related.

How can I make sure that "hodrc" contents are passed correctly into hod?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Posted by Mehmet Belgin <me...@oit.gatech.edu>.

Posted by Mehmet Belgin <me...@oit.gatech.edu>.

Posted by Mehmet Belgin <me...@oit.gatech.edu>.