Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/08 13:02:29 UTC

HTML/Java checksums was: Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Alpha (incubating)

> Sorry, not sure what is happening, I tried to download:
>> https://search.maven.org/remotecontent?filepath=org/netbeans
>> /html/net.java.html.boot.script/1.5/net.java.html.boot.script-1.5.jar
>>
>> and it seems to have sha1sum:
>> 276009d3f0a27079a80d241c3183ec712305a42a
>>

> Indeed, if I download the above manually I can confirm it to have the
> expected sha1sum.
>
> The problem seems to be caused by my local maven repository already
> having these artifacts, and *those* have different sha1sum...
> Disabling my local maven repository 'fixed' this and the build succeeds.
> And ant tryme does start the platform now.

Hello Ate,
this is a result of your previous testing of HTML/Java 1.5. You have built
the artifacts and they got into your local Maven repository. Not sure what
is the best way out of this - I usually delete affected part of my
$HOME/.m2/repository/org/netbeans/html

-jt

Re: HTML/Java checksums was: Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Alpha (incubating)

Posted by Michael Nascimento <mi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
> That is not the case. I *did* built the correct version locally.

Ooops, sorry for jumping to conclusions, Ate.

> No, And that is the cause of the issue here.
> Every built of a jar will produce a different sha, so you're assessment
> is correct.
> While not a blocking issue I agree the current check is not sustainable.

True then.

Regards,
Michael

Re: HTML/Java checksums was: Release Apache NetBeans 9.0 Alpha (incubating)

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

On 2017-11-08 15:25, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Michael Nascimento <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...Had he built the correct version,
>> everything would have worked out fine....

That is not the case. I *did* built the correct version locally.

> Can you build the same jar multiple times and get the same digest every time? >
> Some jars include build timestamps which breaks this, but maybe the
> NetBeans builds take care of that?

No, And that is the cause of the issue here.
Every built of a jar will produce a different sha, so you're assessment
is correct.
While not a blocking issue I agree the current check is not sustainable.

Ate

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Nascimento <mi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Does this means the platform build only works using binaries
> downloaded from search.maven.org, as opposed to binaries built
> locally?

No, he just had a messed up version deployed in his local Maven repo
and this was picked by the build. Had he built the correct version,

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.

> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Jaroslav Tulach
> <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ...this is a result of your previous testing of HTML/Java 1.5. You have
> built
> > the artifacts and they got into your local Maven repository....

It is a Maven flaw that  it produces different artifacts with every new
build. But almost any build system is flawed this way. Unless I am mistaken
only Debian invested enormous amount of effort to create reproducible
builds of its artifacts.

> Does this means the platform build only works using binaries
> downloaded from search.maven.org, as opposed to binaries built
> locally?

The platform indeed works with libraries built locally. Once you change the
platform code to properly reference the binaries built locally.

>  If yes that's a problem IMO, developers should be able (and encouraged

> to) build everything themselves from sources.

Fine. But we also want stable and predictable build which will not suffer
from shaky network connections and/or man in middle attack. Right now I
prefer correctness of the build over developer's comfort.

> Nothing urgent but something to fix at some point, unless there's a
> workaround already.

The workaround is to change the binaries-list file to point to the locally
build JAR and to provide its correct checksum. That has worked acceptably
for last 17 years, so I think it will be fine for a while.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,