Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Anton Tagunov <at...@list.ru> on 2004/02/11 15:48:29 UTC

Itches (was: Idealization)

> Btw what are the personal activities of each 'avaloner' 'til end of this
> year? What we want to see in Avalon in the end of this year?

Mine are:

* get airborne with Jexl/Jelly/Maven

* research more JCA spec and see if
  + JCA "host" may be
    - derived from Geronimo
    - taken from some other source
    to be usable with Tomcat
  + JCA "client" built for some
    of the Avalon containers
  + this may be a uniform route
    for growing up Avalon-supported
    Servlets/EJB/whatever

* I'm also interested in the situation
  when two components are dependent
  on each other - if this can be handled
  gracefully at all and in Avalon in
  particular

Anton

Re: Itches (was: Idealization)

Posted by Jonathan Hawkes <jh...@adsnm.com>.
> > I have a dream!
>
> I have too many to come true.

+1

:)

RE: Itches (was: Idealization)

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
> I would like to see Merlin become the "one true container" that it
> promises.
> I would like to see ECM, Fortress, and Pheonix completely done away with.
> I'm fine with there being more than one Avalon container out there (I'm
> for
> that).  But the "official" (reference implementation if you will)
> container
> should be Merlin.  It is difficult enough for the community to maintain a
> single container.

+1

> I would like to see Avalon PI.

+1

> I would like to see better communication between Avalon and other Apache
> projects (such as Commons and Maven).  There is too much duplicated code
> and
> functionality between Apache projects.

+1 and absolutely critical to our success.  A lot of the junk I added to
that env package (env vars stink by the way) is available in commons and
in ant.  So is the discovery stuff.  I need to keep my mental catalog of
what's out there up to date.

Also when we start out on something we should post to lists to double
check whether functionality already exists in other projects.  Writing
code is a responsibility and not a privilege so the less of it you can
write to obtain the same functionality the better.

> I have a dream!

I have too many to come true.

Alex

Re: Itches (was: Idealization)

Posted by Jonathan Hawkes <jh...@adsnm.com>.
> > Btw what are the personal activities of each 'avaloner' 'til end of this
> > year? What we want to see in Avalon in the end of this year?

I would like to see Merlin become the "one true container" that it promises.
I would like to see ECM, Fortress, and Pheonix completely done away with.
I'm fine with there being more than one Avalon container out there (I'm for
that).  But the "official" (reference implementation if you will) container
should be Merlin.  It is difficult enough for the community to maintain a
single container.

I would like to see better documentation.

I would like to see Avalon PI.

I would like to see better communication between Avalon and other Apache
projects (such as Commons and Maven).  There is too much duplicated code and
functionality between Apache projects.

I have a dream!

Jonathan Hawkes

Re: Itches

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Anton Tagunov wrote:
>>Btw what are the personal activities of each 'avaloner' 'til end of this
>>year? What we want to see in Avalon in the end of this year?
>

> Mine are:
>
> * get airborne with Jexl/Jelly/Maven
>
> * research more JCA spec and see if
>   + JCA "host" may be
>     - derived from Geronimo
>     - taken from some other source
>     to be usable with Tomcat
>   + JCA "client" built for some
>     of the Avalon containers
>   + this may be a uniform route
>     for growing up Avalon-supported
>     Servlets/EJB/whatever
>
> * I'm also interested in the situation
>   when two components are dependent
>   on each other - if this can be handled
>   gracefully at all and in Avalon in
>   particular

I've already got some code that handles circular dependencies at the
assembly level but its not committed yet.  What exists clears away the
recursive error that currently exists in the CVS version and enables
component implementations that are circular aware - but I would like to
improve this before locking it into 3.3.

Anyway, I'll try and post something on this soon.

Cheers, Steve.

Re: Itches

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Anton Tagunov wrote:
>>Btw what are the personal activities of each 'avaloner' 'til end of this
>>year? What we want to see in Avalon in the end of this year?

My main item is community-building. I want to make sure all the
developers we've dragged into the core recently (and the ones that will
arrive during the year) get absorbed well, get a feeling of
self-empowerment, etc etc. I probably won't be doing that much coding
that will end up in avalon CVS (the most intimately related thing I'm
working on is a TCK but so far most enthusiasm and help with that has
come from people not likely to help develop it if its moved over here).

And I intend to start whining loudly again about the miserable state of
integration with gump that avalon maintains.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons