Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/09 18:36:11 UTC

Marketing events

OOo had a substantial community marketing project with community members
attending key events. How do we improve on that now with AOO?

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OOo had a substantial community marketing project with community members
> attending key events. How do we improve on that now with AOO?

We have an ooo-marketing (cc'ed) mailing list with 113 subscribers.
So it shows that there is some interest in the subject.  You may have
seen Andrea's note about Fosdem and getting a space there.

Maybe it would help to start a wiki page (or maybe one already
exists?) where we can list upcoming events, prioritize them and see if
they can be staffed by volunteers.  That still leaves the logistics of
travel expenses, etc., but starting with a concrete list of
possibilities is at least a start.

-Rob

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
This thread is a great source of energy - and I'd love to see plenty of
people following it... over on ooo-marketing@, as several have suggested!

Please - if you're interested in marketing, outreach, consulting, or
anything like that around AOO, send mail to
ooo-marketing-subscribe@incubator.apache.org and/or read the archives at
my favorite mail archive, http://ooo-marketing.markmail.org

- Shane (moving over there now)

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 10/10/12, Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> On 9 October 2012 22:05, Raphael Bircher <rb...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> It would be a very rare open source even that did not have at least
>>> one Apache member present.
>> Maybe in US. In Europe, Apache is nearly nowhere present. Not even at
>> FLOSS Events.
>
> I'm afraid your assumption is incorrect. The ASF is much broader and
> deeper than you imaging. Rob is right to ask how AOO might use that
> network to its advantage. http://people.apache.org/map.html

Even so, from all the FLOSS events I have attended to, in a span of 12
years of attending events. I only met 1 guy from apache. Not saying
that there weren't others, but from personal experience, I have met
more MySQL, Drupal, PHP and Asterisk guys than Apache or any of its
projects.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Re: Marketing events: Brochure? Newsletter?

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Nancy K <na...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi! I have been keeping up with the discussions, but unable to participate
> much lately, unfortunately.  In the marketing department, is there a
> newsletter or brochure that could be distributed at any event?

Hi Nancy after some digging and consulting and more digging on my inbox I
finally found one of the nicest brochures that was given at SCALEx6 in Los
Angeles in February 2009. This  is one of the most visible ones, hope we
can use it as a template for more great work:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/File:Pamphlet_BD.odt

This is from the 2.4 release, so a 3.4 would be needed, hopefully this
helps.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: Marketing events: Brochure? Newsletter?

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 10/19/12 8:44 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

>> website
>> paper

>> "How

>> ),
>>>
>>> This can be easily updated, what is more dificult is trying to get
>>> back some of these marketing jobs, specially sources files. These
>>> source files makes editing and generating marketing kits more easily.
>>>
>>> Other communities like Software freedom day has been pretty good on
>>> launching new marketing kits, or images. OOo days, there was also some
>>> marketing efforts on presenting a similar design for things. Like the
>>> wireframe gull or the waves.
>>>
>>> unfortunately oracle's brand refresh of just using 'white' left us
>>> with only the orb as a design element.
>>>
>>> Apache hasn't really produce much, even with the logo there are some
>>> missing pieces. So I think is important at least to have something
>>> like brochure sources, newsletters, and such to be able to pull
>>> together some marketing efforts.
>>>

>> Would it make sense to start, maybe on a wiki page, a list of what you
>> think we need?  A "want list".  I know that doesn't sound like it
>> accomplishes much, but that list would be very useful.  It gives other
>> volunteers a framework that they can think of and see how they might
>> contribute.
>>

> The marketing wiki as well as the site already has a lot more than a wish
> list. But the challenge is some of the deliverables which were not always
> uploaded to the oo.o domain. Specially since source files were more like
> versions and revisions, so they were put to temporary file sharing sites or
> personal websites.
>
> I have been talking with drew about some of the flyers we used in the past
> for some events at SCALEx6 on 09.

we should start to collect the source files of any future used material
in a secure place (svn). Well I would prefer a real CMS but that is
something different.

Juergen

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: Marketing events: Brochure? Newsletter?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: Marketing events: Brochure? Newsletter?

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: Marketing events: Brochure? Newsletter?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Nancy K <na...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi! I have been keeping up with the discussions, but unable to participate
> much lately, unfortunately.  In the marketing department, is there a
> newsletter or brochure that could be distributed at any event?
>
> I am thinking that a design could be approved, then placed on the website
> so that anyone representing Apache OpenOffice could print it out. This
> might be an example of a way to fund an event - using funds for the paper
> and ink or professional printing.  The vote to offer funds for an event
> could be proposed for approval or disapproval.  If approved the design
> posted could be in a file format that could be printed directly or sent to
> a printer.
>

> Nancy

Nancy --

I think an downloadable "brochure" would be a super idea! Unfortunately,
the marketing information via  http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/ -- "How
to get Involved"

seems out of date. Please join the marketing mailing list (see info:
suggest some ideas, and see what others think!

>      Nancy      Web Design
> Free 24 hour pass to lynda.com.
> Video courses on SEO, CMS,
> Design and Software Courses
>

> ________________________________

MzK

 dealt  with a cat."
                                                -- Robert Heinlein

Re: Marketing events: Brochure? Newsletter?

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
We used to have a newsletter, but it was always a challenge to get
people to talk about the development every month.

http://www.openoffice.org/editorial/spotlightindex.html

Not sure how many process were stablished or discussed, but some
recycling could be done.

As far as brochure, I remember Drew help out a lot on ScaleX6. I still
have them somewhere, i most say the design was pretty good en-par with
the design guidelines.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: Marketing events: Brochure? Newsletter?

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
On 10 October 2012 14:29, Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 6:30 AM, Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The main issue is where does the money come from to fund this?
> > How can fund
> > raising be coordinated and if funds are raised where are they stored and
> > then how are they distributed?
>
> Of course.
>
> In principle must be volunteers who have availability in events go
> willingly, so we'll see who likes to participate in such.
>
> We have a cost / benefit of donations, and to separate events and
> marketing.
>
> Albino

I'm making the assumption that if there is funding for travel and
subsistence, there will not be a shortage of volunteers. At least that
seemed tobe the case with OOo so probably it will still be the case now.

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org>.
Hi.

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
On 10 October 2012 01:54, Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm from Brazil and there various events: FISL, LatinoWare, Revista
> Espirito Livre and others spread throughout BR.
>
> You could have a fund for member "official" AOO, so you can attend the
> AOO speaking, lecturing, talking etc.. But this must be carefully
> discussed.
>
> This member can attend these events that have availability and time
> available. It'll be like us, being voluntary, but that talk of AOO
> events.

Hi Albino,

The main issue is where does the money come from to fund this? How can fund
raising be coordinated and if funds are raised where are they stored and
then how are they distributed? If ASF has no scope for targeted funding on
projects within it, any such fund raising has to take place outside. If we
created a NFP called Friends of AOO we then have potential issues with the
trademarks, conflicts of interest etc. Not necessarily problems we can't
resolve but it needs some careful initial thought so that we get started
(if indeed we do) in a sustainable way that will maximise benefit to the
project.

Re: Marketing events

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 10 October 2012 13:13, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> OK.

>>> but
>>> that
>>>
>>> In the spirit of brainstorming the, lets consider. I can imagine
>>> someone looking to fund development work, if they desire the outcome
>>> of that work. Ditto for translations. Maybe even a crowd-funded
>>> documentation effort.  In all the cases their is a return to the
>>> person funding.  But I'm having a hard time imagining a business model
>>> based on person A giving money to person B to market to person C.
>>>

>> EU give a grant to person B to educate people (people C) about the benefits
>> of Open Source. This is just one possible example. We ran an EU learner
>> workshop a couple of weeks ago on the subject of digital audio recording.
>> https://theingots.org/community/GLWS Grant was just under 30,000 Euro for
>> putting on the event and paying travel expenses of 12 delegates from 4
>> countries. These are one way of getting funding into marketing. There are
>> probably many others but they need people with expertise and people with
>> time to make applications because it's not straightforward. But then again
>> neither is developing AOO code ;-)
>>

> This makes sense.
>
> It is worth also considering the relationship between the ASF and
> Google when we participate in Google Summer of Code.  If that is
> possible, what else is possible?

The ASF doesn't receive the money for the development the student
does. It is paid directly to the Student, not to the ASF. Google has
no influence over which projects are accepted or how we run them. So,
looking at GSoC is a reasonably good model, there is no formal
relationship between the ASF and Google - that model works.

> Could the ASF be the recipient of
> grants?

IMHO, No. The ASF will only accept donations without strings. Most
grants, certainly the kind Ian is discussing, have strings (in the
form of defined work packages, deliverables and reporting
requirements).

Ross

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>>> I wouldn't be too worried about LO. There are opportunities that don't
>>> necessarily depend on altruism.

>>> Affiliation with the project would help, but it is not essential. I
>>> started
>>> a business initially on the idea of certification of OOo that has morphed
>>> into other things and has had no direct connection with OOo for all the
>>> same types of political reasons that a new marketing entity might have to
>>> be separate from AOO. A not for profit *might* be more acceptable but
>>> there
>>> are technical issues eg obtaining grants for organisations that are not
>>> legal entities.
>>>
>>> An alternative, and perhaps complimentary, approach would be to make a
>>>>

>>> That is certainly important and the old OOo had a wide network of MarCons
>>> in different countries. Even so it costs money to travel. Even for me to
>>> get to London and back from here can cost $200 and that is before any
>>> costs
>>> associated with booth hire or entry to shows etc. A few years ago I
>>> attended the NEA conference to distribute OOo discs in Los Angeles partly
>>> at my own expense and partly with a UK trade and industry grant but it
>>> cost
>>>  about $4000.
>>>
>>> In any case I'm committed to a robust volunteer-led marketing effort
>>>>

>>> I think it is a "yes and" rather than  an either or. My experience is
>>> that
>>> for the sake of what are relatively small amounts of money the
>>> effectiveness of marketing is massively and disproportionately reduced,
>>> especially when it is a consumer product that is not something that will
>>> proliferate well enough through "geek" networks. I should think 99.9% of
>>> people that install Apache web server are IT professionals, 99.9% of
>>> people
>>> that install AOO will be IT end users. There is a big difference in the
>>> marketing required to each of those audiences.
>>>

>> Personally I'm most interested in reaching beyond the open source
>> conference echo chamber and reaching the user audience that does not
>> already know about OpenOffice and perhaps doesn't know about open
>> source either.  I think that equates to your "consumer audience" at
>> least in the large.
>
> We were starting to do this getting into ALA = American Library
> Association in DC, althought in the end we didnt get to participate
> (due to logistical issues and one of our reps got sick and cancelled),
> it was a nice try :D.
>
> There were other events such as Educational conferences, and I think
> someone mention a medical-technology conference. But we needed time to
> develop this ideas, as well as money to spare into this. As an
> independent consultant is not always easy to pay up to 1000 dls out of
> my own pocket, just to talk to people about open source. That said, I
> did saw the necessity to go to other events.

Another one to have on your radar:  http://www.nascio.org/

-Rob

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Rob Weir <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 9, 2012, at 6:48 PM, Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 October 2012 21:37, Raphael Bircher <rb...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Am 09.10.12 22:19, schrieb Rob Weir:

>> members

>> few.

>> as

>> course
>> question is
>> long
>> amount
>> if at

>> events.
>> the ASF?

>>> A serious recommendation: set up something on Yahoo Groups or Google
>>> Groups. Send a single note to this list saying that you are proposing
>>> a group to discuss the formation on an independent 3rd party
>>> organization to fund independent development and marketing activities
>>> related to Apache OpenOffice.  And then continue all further
>>> discussions on that list or whatever lists eventually come from that
>>> discussion.
>>>
>>> IMHO it is impossible to draw a clear line between the organizations
>>> while discussing them here on ooo-dev.  I don't oppose such an
>>> organization.  But I do want it to be truly independent.
>>>
>>> Make sense?
>> I see no problem, to discuse and share Ideas here. It's a good place to
>> find the people. But for discoussion about the setup wi should use othe
>> channels, that's right.
>
> +1, this is just brainstorming about something of common interest so at
> this stage its best to be as public as possible. If there is a clear
> proposal outside the scope of ASF then we should move it outside.

OK.

> The issue of funding people to take part in marketing has always been an
> issue since the start of OOo. It might well be out of the scope of ASF but
> it is certainly no disadvantage to be able to fund experienced  people to
> speak at important events. Is AOO different from other ASF projects in that
> respect? Probably a) because of its size and b) because of its end-user
> focus.

In the spirit of brainstorming the, lets consider. I can imagine
someone looking to fund development work, if they desire the outcome
of that work. Ditto for translations. Maybe even a crowd-funded
documentation effort.  In all the cases their is a return to the
person funding.  But I'm having a hard time imagining a business model
based on person A giving money to person B to market to person C.
Maybe in the same sense someone might help fund a missionary. But this
is very lean. And as we know LO has claimed moral superiority, so
opportunities for FOSS sympathetic funding is diminished.   Would a

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@apache.org>.
> [...]
>> a clear line between Apache and this/those organization/s.
>>
> A serious recommendation: set up something on Yahoo Groups or Google
> Groups. Send a single note to this list saying that you are proposing
> a group to discuss the formation on an independent 3rd party
> organization to fund independent development and marketing activities
> related to Apache OpenOffice.  And then continue all further
> discussions on that list or whatever lists eventually come from that
> discussion.
>
> IMHO it is impossible to draw a clear line between the organizations
> while discussing them here on ooo-dev.  I don't oppose such an
> organization.  But I do want it to be truly independent.
>
> Make sense?

I see no problem, to discuse and share Ideas here. It's a good place to
find the people. But for discoussion about the setup wi should use othe

Greetings Raphael

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@apache.org>.

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12-10-09, at 15:07 , Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> For 3rd party fundraising, we would need to tread very carefully here,
>> in terms of trademark use, avoiding appearance of affiliation or
>> endorsement, etc.  We can't have an outside group raising and spending
>> money on behalf of an ASF project, claiming to speak for the ASF
>> project at conferences, using a name that suggests affiliation with
>> the ASF project, especially an exclusive relation, etc.  So I have
>> serious doubts that an outside organization, with these constraints,
>> would have much luck raising funds.
>
> Fun to be snarky here.
>
> But I'll refrain.
>
> We've gone over this terrain before, as Ian pointed out. We can manage the care and details. The point I wanted to make related to the relation between AOO/Apache and the entity.

Sorry if I was obscure.  Let me be explicit.   My suggestion is that
there would be no relation.  Or at least no more than there is between
the ASF and a marketing department at IBM or the marketing department
of any other corporation, for-profit or non-profit who has volunteers
working in an Apache project.

If you or Ian are suggesting something else then you'll need to be far
more clear about what exactly you are proposing.  (And IMHO if you
think you need to propose something on this list, then it is probably
already over the line.  Mind you, proposing it as a courtesy is fine.
But if you think that you actually must propose it and get approval
from the project, then it is probably problematic.  I hope you prove
me wrong.)

-Rob

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 October 2012 18:00, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:
>
>> On 10/9/12, Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > OOo had a substantial community marketing project with community members
>> > attending key events. How do we improve on that now with AOO?
>>
>> I remember one of the last activities before OOo was forked and most
>>  operations came to a halt, was building a collection of 'approved
>>  events'.  we rate them as how strategically important for the
>>  marketing plan was, and how much support it would get from the
>> previous marketing budget.
>>
>>  FOSDEM was one of them, as well as OSWC and Latinoware to mention a few.
>>
>>  We also thought about having dedicated speakers since they were
>>  repeatably asked to give talks in their regions and were considered as
>>  the "OpenOffice.org guy" in the FLOSS community.
>>
>>  I am not sure how this activity goes for or against things done on
>> Apache Way. But It was one of the ideas of the new Marketing Plan
>> (which also was
>>  halted).
>>
>> I think there were some policies on the way the money would be spent
>> such as, we could fund up to 50%, and only for traveling and hosting
>> (no food or drinks). Other rules were still being put in place.
>

> Before getting into too much detail, what about Louis' suggestion of a
> marketing entity that could raise money outside the scope of ASF? Of course
> there is nothing to stop anyone setting up such an entity, the question is
> the relationship with AOO as part of ASF. The view I have held for a long
> time is that some sort of liquid assets even if a relatively small amount
> would have a disproportionate effect when it comes to marketing and
> dissemination. I'm just not clear how that fits with the Apache Way if at
> all.

Some quick ideas:

What exactly do we need to raise money for?  Let's be sure it is not
already available with Apache.  If it is event-oriented, it is good
idea to check on the ConCom lists.

Have we availed ourselves of all the free marketing opportunities we
have?  Why are we leaping to outside fundraising before writing blog
posts?  Webinars?  Why set up an outside marketing organization when
we have a magazine interview request that we have not yet responded
to?  If we're not making optimal use of free, I wonder if we would
make good use of not-free?

If there is something specific we need, maybe we can get it donated to the ASF?

It would be a very rare open source even that did not have at least
one Apache member present.  Maybe there is an opportunity to share

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Some general comments on a great thread:

- The mission of the ASF is to provide software for the public good; we
do this by providing a home for like-minded community & consensus driven
projects that choose to follow the Apache Way.  As a non-profit, there
are a limited number of specific costs that we will spend our funding
directly on.  This is a significant difference from how the former OOo
project was run by Sun/Oracle.

One important and key difference is that the ASF does not directly fund
project development.  Work on Apache projects is done by volunteers - at
least from the ASF perspective.  [1]

- The ASF does have a Conferences Committee and a Travel Assistance
Committee, which do have budgets.  The primary purpose of these is to
either fund small events, or selected individuals to attend events.  In
both cases, a primary purpose for providing funding is to increase the
pool of active contributors to our projects.  I.e. this funding is
typically focused on ways that can increase the number and quality of
volunteers who are willing to do the work on our projects.

I definitely understand that these points are quite different from the
OOo past, especially in the fact that much of the ASF focus is on
contributors (who may become committers), and not pure end users.

----
I can definitely see space for some outside organization(s) to work on
more evangelizing of AOO, especially providing training and support.
Plenty of other Apache projects have groups of commercial companies
doing exactly this, usually quite happily.  The one difference in most
cases is they're typically focused on business customers - i.e. the
CIO/CTO or VP, Engineering of companies using Apache projects.  That is
a little different from AOO, which has many more individuals and pure
end users.

There does need to be a clear respect for branding between the ASF/AOO
and outside organizations.  But there are plenty of examples from other
Apache projects where the outside organizations can show their support
without stepping over the line.  We can work on that topic, once some
folks have some more specific plans they want to implement.

- Shane

Re: Marketing events

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.

Re: Marketing events