Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by si...@wipro.com on 2005/03/04 07:27:37 UTC

[users@httpd] Problem accessing STATIC variables on Apache 1.3.33

Hi All,

Sorry in case this is a silly problem.... but i have tried a lot and since didnt found any solution am putting mail....

I had earlier configured Apache on Windows. I had a small Plug-in running on the windows system which used to authenticate requests...
In the windows version i had some static variables which were used based on the values.

e.g. static int nVal = 0;

function abc()
{
      nval = 1;
}

Once the value was changed to 1, it was reflected across the whole of my module irrespective of the request.

But currently i am facing problems when i ported the same code to HPUX 11i.
In HP although the code is the same, it always displays the initial value in case the request from Apache is a new one. (i.e. value for nVal is 1).

Is this because Apache on UNIX based machines is a Process based model while on Windows its a thread based one....???

Is there any way how i can manage static variables for HP....????

Do reply...
siba

Confidentiality Notice

you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Wipro or Mailadmin@wipro.com immediately

Re: [users@httpd] Problem accessing STATIC variables on Apache 1.3.33

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:57:37 +0530, siba.dora@wipro.com
<si...@wipro.com> wrote:
>  I had earlier configured Apache on Windows. I had a small Plug-in running
> on the windows system which used to authenticate requests...
>  In the windows version i had some static variables which were used based on
> the values.
>
>  e.g. static int nVal = 0;
>

>  function abc()
>  {
>        nval = 1;
>  }
>
>  Once the value was changed to 1, it was reflected across the whole of my
> module irrespective of the request.
>
>  But currently i am facing problems when i ported the same code to HPUX 11i.
>  In HP although the code is the same, it always displays the initial value
> in case the request from Apache is a new one. (i.e. value for nVal is 1).
>
>  Is this because Apache on UNIX based machines is a Process based model
> while on Windows its a thread based one....???

Yes.

>  Is there any way how i can manage static variables for HP....????

Use shared memory.  For example, the APR library has
http://apr.apache.org/docs/apr/group__apr__shm.html

Joshua.