Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2002/04/20 16:53:29 UTC

Documentation Reorganisation

I propose we re-organise documentation a bit.

I'll start with the framework documentation.

Suggestion:

- Essentials
  - Overview
  - Features
      (new)
  - Getting Started
      (new)
  - Downloads

- Guide
  - OOP best practices
      (modified reuse-standards.html)
  - What are Patterns?
      (modified from patterns.html)
  - Patterns in Avalon
      (modified from "Patterns and Design")
  - What is COP?
      (modified from "The Api")
  - COP in Avalon
      (modified from "The Api")
  - Where to go from here
      (link to "Developing with Avalon")

- Reference
  - Api Docs
  - Diagrams Docs
  - The Lifecycle
      (new)

- For Developers
  - Changes
  - Coding standards
  - Project structure
  - CVS
  - Mailing Lists

After your comments are integrated into this,
and there are no -1s, I will make all the
required changes as soon as I have time.

- Leo

Re: Documentation Reorganisation

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Leo,

>Paul:
>
>>Missing a FAQ.
>>

>I know. We should have a FAQ engine for that, I think, which
>I have no time to setup right now. Any takers?

-1

Historically we used to have a FAQ, then Jakarta put a faq-o-matic
(jyve?) onlone and we have had none since.

I think we have already committed to going back to the old FAQ system in
xdocs.

- Paul

RE: Documentation Reorganisation

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Paul:

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Leo,

Missing a FAQ.  Our biggest problem concerns people confusing 'Avalon
(project)' with Avalon-Framework, Avalon-Ecalibur etc.

- Paul

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Saturday 20 April 2002 10:53 am, Leo Simons wrote:
> I propose we re-organise documentation a bit.

+1 to all re-orgs, the outlines look good.
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org

Re: Documentation Reorganisation

Posted by Pete Carapetyan <pe...@datafundamentals.com>.
+ 1 on the documentation re-org, with one caveat:

Less is more, sometimes. Especially when one aspect of the documentation is covered in multiple places. Such as when one guy covers it this way, and then another guy comes back months later and hits it from a different perspective, and both views are on left on the site. This happens to a lot of open source projects.

Simplicity and precision make things easier to follow, which is quite a challenge when things are moving as rapidly as Avalon. You guys are really kicking some butt. Major kudos.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

RE: Documentation Reorganisation

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
I've started on all this. While I don't wish to
"lock" the xdocs/ directory in the jakarta-avalon
module, it would be nice if y'all could limit
changes to it for a few days so I don't have to
keep "synching".

thanks.

- Leo, who hasn't migrated over to linux completely
just yet because it is a PITA to get outlook data
out of outlook and into something else