Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Jaroslav Snajdr <js...@kerio.com> on 2009/10/02 14:01:15 UTC

Parsing potx files - PowerPoint templates

Hello,

when trying to parse a PowerPoint template file (with a potx extension), using the AutoDetectParser, POI library told me that it doesn't support document type

application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.template.main+xml

Looking at the source of the org.apache.poi.extractor.ExtractorFactory.createExtractor method, I see that PowerPoint templates are really not recognized as a known format. It's not the case with Excel and Word documents though, where many more document type "variants" are supported.

I'm wondering what it would mean to add this support. Would it suffice to just add a new constant, XSLFSlideShow.TEMPLATE_CONTENT_TYPE, and add a check into the createExtractor method?

Jarda Snajdr

Re: Parsing potx files - PowerPoint templates

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Fri, 2 Oct 2009, Jaroslav Snajdr wrote:
> when trying to parse a PowerPoint template file (with a potx extension),
> using the AutoDetectParser, POI library told me that it doesn't support
> document type
>
> application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.template.main+xml

Can you open a new bug on bugzilla, and upload as sample file? That way,
we'll have something to write a unit test against when we add the support

> Would it suffice to just add a new constant,
> XSLFSlideShow.TEMPLATE_CONTENT_TYPE, and add a check into the
> createExtractor method?

Possibly, it's certainly worth a try. It all depends on how much it
differs from the standard file format. If you do try it and it works,
please upload the patch for that too!

Thanks
Nick