Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID> on 2020/04/19 09:33:44 UTC

javax -> jakarta

Hi folks!

While moving over to jakartaee we need to discuss which specs we want to include in our maven builds.

We have a jakarta.* branch for the geronimo specs since a year.
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/branches/jakarta/ <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/branches/jakarta/>
In fact, this was the first ever attempt whether moving the packages was possible at all.

The other possible option would be to use the now existing official packages from eclipse.
There are a few issues with those though.

a.) they are not OSGi capable. Not a bit deal for most, but there are projects like karaf, Camel, etc which make use of OSGi.
I have not checked whether Eclipse has plans to add this feature to their official artifacts. Anyone?

b.) The EPLv2 is a weak copyleft license. So it still requires some reciprocity. ALv2 does not.
https://apache.org/legal/resolved.html <https://apache.org/legal/resolved.html>
See section 3 in https://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-2.0/
I think this would be fine as long as we make sure not to modify it. Our java-ee-api super-jar might be such a case.

c.) Software Maintenance
With maintaining our own versions of the specs we can rather quickly test out new features currently under discussion. This would be harder if we do not maintain those sources ourselves.
Of course this also has downsides: we _need_ to maintain it and we need to make sure it finally is binary compatible. Checking signatures and stuff...

For the record: Apache Tomcat still maintains all the apis for themselves as well:
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/master/java/jakarta

Re: javax -> jakarta

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
FYI: also started a discussion over at geronimo-dev. Ray had some good feedback.

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rffa51b77d13a6ab6423ed6cdf531a1483848b6965fe0c67b2263ff48%40%3Cdev.geronimo.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rffa51b77d13a6ab6423ed6cdf531a1483848b6965fe0c67b2263ff48@%3Cdev.geronimo.apache.org%3E>

LieGrue,
strub

Re: javax -> jakarta

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.