Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by je...@icw.de on 2009/10/27 14:38:54 UTC

COUCHDB-161 Range Request support for attachments

Hi,

I saw that the release notes of 0.10 include the feature request
COUCHDB-161 "Range Request support for attachments". I tried using the
http header "Range" when doing a normal Get request for an attachment.
However, I always get the complete attachment. I configured the CouchDb
log to output debug messages and it seems the header is received by
CouchDb. Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks,
Jens

InterComponentWare AG:
Vorstand: Dr. Lutz Kleinholz (Vors.), Dr. Georg Ralle, J�rg Stadler / Aufsichtsratsvors.: Prof. Dr. Christof Hettich
Firmensitz: 69190 Walldorf, Industriestra�e 41 / AG Mannheim HRB 351761 / USt.-IdNr.: DE 198388516

Re: COUCHDB-161 Range Request support for attachments

Posted by je...@icw.de.
Hi Jan,

ok thanks. I will give it a try.

Jens

Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>
27.10.2009 15:58
Please respond to
user@couchdb.apache.org

user@couchdb.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: COUCHDB-161 Range Request support for attachments

Hi Jens,

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/couchdb/trunk/src/couchdb/couch_httpd_db.erl?view=markup

line 857 ff.

Cheers
Jan
--

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310780&styleName=Html&version=12313694

>> Guess that is just an automatic page generated from the Jira.
>> Anyway, are
>> there any plans to include this in the near future? I'm asking
>> because we
>> can work around this, but it would simplify our implementation if
>> this
>> feature is available.
>
> I'd love to see it added too, but I don't know anyone who is currently
> taking this on. The patch shouldn't be too hard and would be perfect
> for a newcomer who is eager to dive into the CouchDB codebase.
>
> I'd be happy to do some guiding.
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --
>

>> Thanks,
>> Jens
>>

>> Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>
>> 27.10.2009 14:52
>> Please respond to
>> user@couchdb.apache.org

>> user@couchdb.apache.org
>> cc
>>
>> Subject
>> Re: COUCHDB-161 Range Request support for attachments
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Range requests for attachments are not in 0.10. The release
>> notes don't include that information. I think the confusion stems
>> from that in JIRA, the issue is tagged 0.10. Note though that
>> the issue is still open.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jan
>> --
>>
>> On 27 Oct 2009, at 14:38, jens.riemschneider@icw.de wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I saw that the release notes of 0.10 include the feature request
>>> COUCHDB-161 "Range Request support for attachments". I tried using
>>> the
>>> http header "Range" when doing a normal Get request for an
>>> attachment.
>>> However, I always get the complete attachment. I configured the
>>> CouchDb
>>> log to output debug messages and it seems the header is received by
>>> CouchDb. Is there anything else I need to do?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jens
>>>
>>> InterComponentWare AG:
>>> Vorstand: Dr. Lutz Kleinholz (Vors.), Dr. Georg Ralle, Jörg
>>> Stadler / Aufsichtsratsvors.: Prof. Dr. Christof Hettich
>>> Firmensitz: 69190 Walldorf, Industriestraße 41 / AG Mannheim HRB
>>> 351761 / USt.-IdNr.: DE 198388516
>>

>> InterComponentWare AG:
>> Vorstand: Dr. Lutz Kleinholz (Vors.), Dr. Georg Ralle, Jörg
>> Stadler / Aufsichtsratsvors.: Prof. Dr. Christof Hettich
>> Firmensitz: 69190 Walldorf, Industriestraße 41 / AG Mannheim HRB
>> 351761 / USt.-IdNr.: DE 198388516
>

> InterComponentWare AG:
> Vorstand: Dr. Lutz Kleinholz (Vors.), Dr. Georg Ralle, Jörg
> Stadler / Aufsichtsratsvors.: Prof. Dr. Christof Hettich
> Firmensitz: 69190 Walldorf, Industriestraße 41 / AG Mannheim HRB
> 351761 / USt.-IdNr.: DE 198388516

InterComponentWare AG:
Vorstand: Dr. Lutz Kleinholz (Vors.), Dr. Georg Ralle, Jörg Stadler / Aufsichtsratsvors.: Prof. Dr. Christof Hettich
Firmensitz: 69190 Walldorf, Industriestraße 41 / AG Mannheim HRB 351761 / USt.-IdNr.: DE 198388516

Re: COUCHDB-161 Range Request support for attachments

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
> Of course this would disable MD5 validation on the skipped bytes; I'm not
> sure if anyone has discussed the ramifications.  Best,

IIRC, there's something in the spec for Content-MD5 that deals with this.

Paul Davis

Re: COUCHDB-161 Range Request support for attachments

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.
Hi Jens, you seem like you're on the right track.  pread_iolist
determines the block length and binds it to the Len variable, so in
principle you could add another couch_file function which just did
that part but skipped the actual reading of the data:

block_length(Fd, Pos) ->
     {ok, LenIolist, NextPos} = read_raw_iolist(Fd, Pos, 4),
     <<_:1/integer, Len:31/integer>> = iolist_to_binary(LenIoList),
     Len.

Of course this would disable MD5 validation on the skipped bytes; I'm
not sure if anyone has discussed the ramifications.  Best,

Adam

>>> user@couchdb.apache.org

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Jens,

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sebastian Negomireanu <se...@justdesign.ro>.
Actually I was going to ask if there are plans for such a feature, too  :)

A useful related feature would be a possiblity to upload a range of an
attachment. I don't know if it's possible or feasible to do it, but a
scenario in which such a feature would be useful is when uploading very
large files in chunks.

Best regards,
Sebastian Negomireanu | CTO / Managing Partner JustDesign Sibiu, Romania
+40-726-181186 | +40-788-757462
sebastian.negomireanu@justdesign.ro

SC JustDesign SRL | Str. Dorului 20, 550352, Sibiu, Romania
+40-269-210008 | office@justdesign.ro | www.justdesign.ro

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
On 27 Oct 2009, at 14:10, jens.riemschneider@icw.de wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply. I googled for the release notes and
> ended up
> at:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310780&styleName=Html&version=12313694
> Guess that is just an automatic page generated from the Jira.

Wow, this is amazing. I had never seen this before!

What do you bet I'm going to integrate this into our release procedure
going forward? ;)

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi,