Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Martin Emrich <ma...@empolis.com> on 2016/03/07 15:00:38 UTC

Packet loss on redundant virtual router since <=4.7.1

Hello!

I just upgraded from 4.4.4 to 4.7.1, and upgraded the virtual routers to 4.6.0. Since then, we have some packet loss with redundant virtual routers. If I shut down one of the routers (leaving the other one running), the problem disappears.

I often see messages like "Redundant Virtual Router just switched from Unknown to Master".
I also noticed lots of these messages in the messages-logfile on the master router: "Password server failed with error code 1. Restarting it..."

What could be wrong?

Thanks

Martin Emrich
Senior IT Administrator

Empolis Information Management GmbH | Europaallee 10 | 67657 Kaiserslautern | Germany
Phone +49 631 68037-71 | Fax +49 631 68037-77
martin.emrich@empolis.com<mailto:martin.emrich@empolis.com%0d>

www.empolis.com<http://www.empolis.com/>
Sitz Kaiserslautern  | Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern HRB 31317
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Stefan Wess, Stefan Volland, Dr. Christian Schulmeyer, Dr. Peter Tepassé

SMART INFORMATION MANAGEMENT
Empolis-Lösungen befähigen Unternehmen und Organisationen, die exponentiell wachsende Menge
strukturierter und unstrukturierter Daten zu analysieren, zu interpretieren und automatisiert zu verarbeiten.
Sie nutzen damit ihr Wissenskapital, um unternehmenskritische Geschäftsprozesse zu optimieren.
Entscheider, Mitarbeiter und Kunden erhalten so stets situations- und aufgabengerecht genau die
Information, die für sie relevant ist.
Abonnieren Sie unseren Newsletter<http://newsletter.empolis.com/art_resource.php?sid=si4n.23ctc3r> | Folgen Sie uns auf Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/EmpolisSoftware> | Besuchen Sie uns auf YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/EmpolisSoftware>
[Banner.Experton2016.Signatur]<http://www.empolis.com/>

AW: AW: Packet loss on redundant virtual router since <=4.7.1

Posted by Martin Emrich <ma...@empolis.com>.
Hi!

I did the checks:

- If I shut down the backup via Cloudstack, the packet loss disappears.
- VRRP traffic can be seen both on the master (r-1904-VM) and the backup (r-1905-VM).
- The internal gateway IP is only on the master. (eth0)
- The external IP is on both hosts (eth2):

root@r-1904-VM:/var/log# ip addr show
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP qlen 1000
    link/ether 02:00:2f:2b:00:02 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.100.151/23 brd 192.168.101.255 scope global eth0
    inet 192.168.100.1/32 brd 192.168.101.255 scope global eth0
3: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP qlen 1000
    link/ether 0e:00:a9:fe:01:ce brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 169.254.1.206/16 brd 169.254.255.255 scope global eth1
4: eth2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP qlen 1000
    link/ether 06:be:76:00:01:68 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 10.32.17.103/20 brd 10.32.31.255 scope global eth2

root@r-1905-VM:~# ip addr show
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP qlen 1000
    link/ether 02:00:18:ba:00:03 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.100.221/23 brd 192.168.101.255 scope global eth0
3: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP qlen 1000
    link/ether 0e:00:a9:fe:01:f0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 169.254.1.240/16 brd 169.254.255.255 scope global eth1
4: eth2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP qlen 1000
    link/ether 06:be:76:00:01:68 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 10.32.17.103/20 brd 10.32.31.255 scope global eth2

So there's something going on with eth2, both are up, and also have the same MAC address. The keepalived configurations seems to deal only with eth0.

Thanks

Martin

Posted by Remi Bergsma <RB...@schubergphilis.com>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.