Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by lucio Piccoli <lu...@hotmail.com> on 2008/07/20 18:00:26 UTC

why is sshd required for standalone

hi all

i am having trouble running Hbase on cygwin environment.
i have the set hbase to use local filesystem.
although sshd is installed and running the ssh client fails to connect to localhost.

the ssh issue is an issue that i am struggling to resolve but that leads me onto my question.

why does the hbase start up scripts need to use SSHD when using the standalone mode?

any help most appreciated.

-lucio

Are you paid what you're worth? Find out: SEEK Salary Centre
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fcareer%2Dresources%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Asc%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_salary&_m=EXT

Re: why is sshd required for standalone

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@gmail.com>.
Lucio,

The startup script for the region servers doesn't read the configuration so
it cannot know that it is in standalone mode. If you really want to use
HBase without having to set the  SSH daemon, you can use the class
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.MiniHBaseCluster that we use in our unit tests. It
is located in src/test.

J-D