Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com> on 2007/01/08 05:37:37 UTC

Manufacturing or purchasing products with features

Is it possible to manufacture or purchase (via PO) products with features?

Say I have a routing task that is supposed to produce a product BicyclePart with feature
"unpainted". Then I have another routing task (sub-contracted) that is supposed to take my
BicyclePart (unpainted) to produce BicyclePart (painted). How do I do that?

How about creating a PO and being able to choose the feature for BicyclePart?

A side question about manfacturing and production runs.

If I need to sub-contract the painting task to a vendor, is it better to have a vendor facility
produce the part BicyclePart (painted), or to ship BicyclePart (unpainted) to my vendor and
purchase BicyclePart (painted) from them? If the latter is better, how do I tie the PO to my
production run?

Or is it possible to purchase a "painting service" from my vendor? If so, how do I tie the PO to
my production run?

The above questions about "better this way or that" is in relation to OFBiz, not how things should
be modeled in general.

Jonathon