Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rick Reumann <ma...@reumann.net> on 2002/08/27 20:22:11 UTC

connection pooling on tomcat

I have connection pooling set up on Tomcat. In my server.xml file I
have added to the ResourceParams:

 <parameter>
  <name>validationQuery</name>
  <value>SELECT 'CRAP' FROM DUAL</value>
 </parameter>

The connection pooling seems to work fine, UNLESS the connections are
manually killed (which are DBA ends up doing each morning for some
reason when she comes ..just because she hates some of us:). When the
connections are killed no one is able to do anything because the
following error comes up:

java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01012: not logged on

Is there some way I can get this pooling to still work even if the
connections are manually killed? I thought by adding the
validationQuery param this would fix the problem, but it didn't.

Thanks for any help.

--

Rick
mailto:maillist@reumann.net

Re[2]: connection pooling on tomcat

Posted by Rick Reumann <ma...@reumann.net>.
On Tuesday, August 27, 2002, 8:24:02 PM, Glenn Nielsen wrote:

GN> What connection pool are you using, DBCP?

    Not sure what DBCP is. I just followed the example in the Tomcat
    documentation under "JDBC Data Sources" at
    http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html

    and it works fine except for that problem of killed connections
    cause the application to not pick up valid new ones thus breaking
    the application to a halt.

    Thanks for any more information/suggestions you could provide.

RE: connection pooling on tomcat

Posted by Mike Jackson <mj...@cdi-hq.com>.
Poolman has the ability to check the connection prior to using it, and
if the connection isn't valid to create new ones to replace the
closed ones.

--mikej
-=-----
mike jackson