Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org> on 2005/08/31 07:35:19 UTC

Debian Packages for 3.1.0-rc2

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 11:41:39PM -0400, Duncan Findlay wrote:
> *** THIS IS A RELEASE CANDIDATE ONLY, NOT THE FINAL 3.1.0 RELEASE ***
>
> SpamAssassin 3.1.0-rc2 is released!  SpamAssassin 3.1.0 is a major
> update.  SpamAssassin is a mail filter which uses advanced statistical
> and heuristic tests to identify spam (also known as unsolicited bulk
> email).

Debian packages or 3.1.0-rc2 are available from the experimental
distibution (version 3.0.99pre3.1.0+rc2-1). I'd appreciate help
testing them, so that all the bugs in the packaging can be worked out
by the time 3.1.0 is uploaded to unstable.

Packages.debian.org hasn't been updated yet, but if you have the
appropriate line for experimental in your /apt/sources.list, you can
try:

# apt-get install spamassassin/experimental spamc/experimental

Or you can download the files from your favourite (up-to-date) mirror:

ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/spamassassin/spamassassin_3.0.99pre3.1.0+rc2-1_all.deb
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/spamassassin/spamc_3.0.99pre3.1.0+rc2-1_i386.deb

All bugs in the Debian packaging should be reported to the Debian BTS,
not the SpamAssassin bugzilla.

Duncan Findlay

Re: Debian Packages for 3.1.0-rc2

Posted by Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org>.
On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 02:23:14PM -0500, Chris Thielen wrote:
> Installed cleanly for me on my Sarge box.  I merged my local.cf into the
> updated package one.
>
> Aug 31 14:04:27 ns1 spamd[4269]: Can't locate Sys/Hostname/Long.pm in @INC
> (@INC contains: ../lib /usr/share/perl5 /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.4
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8
> /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl) at
> /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SPF/Query.pm line 328, <GEN12> line 64.
> I'm getting these in mail.log, but that's because libmail-spf-query-perl
> only suggests libsys-hostname-long-perl (which I don't have installed).
> I believe this is a warning at worst since the package is only
> suggested, and I assume it is out of your control.

That should be reported to the BTS as a libmail-spf-query-perl bug, I
believe.

> I am seeing some other anomalous messages in the log, but I believe they
> are not packaging related.

Hmm... feel free to report those to SA Bugzilla. :-)

--
Duncan Findlay

Re: SA 3.03, Fedora3 - missing sock

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
No place sendmail would look for it, I believe.
{o.o}
Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
Posted by ".rp" <pr...@moveupdate.com>.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.

SA 3.03, Fedora3 - missing sock

Posted by ".rp" <pr...@moveupdate.com>.
and no, it is not in the dryer :-)

Posted by Chris Thielen <cm...@someone.dhs.org>.
Duncan Findlay wrote:

>On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 11:41:39PM -0400, Duncan Findlay wrote:
>

>Debian packages or 3.1.0-rc2 are available from the experimental
>distibution (version 3.0.99pre3.1.0+rc2-1). I'd appreciate help
>testing them, so that all the bugs in the packaging can be worked out
>by the time 3.1.0 is uploaded to unstable.

Hi Duncan,

Installed cleanly for me on my Sarge box.  I merged my local.cf into the
updated package one.

Aug 31 14:04:27 ns1 spamd[4269]: Can't locate Sys/Hostname/Long.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ../lib /usr/share/perl5 /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.4 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl) at /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SPF/Query.pm line 328, <GEN12> line 64.

I'm getting these in mail.log, but that's because libmail-spf-query-perl
only suggests libsys-hostname-long-perl (which I don't have installed).
I believe this is a warning at worst since the package is only
suggested, and I assume it is out of your control.

I am seeing some other anomalous messages in the log, but I believe they
are not packaging related.

Chris

Re: Debian Packages for 3.1.0-rc2

Posted by Stuart Johnston <st...@ebby.com>.
Bob Proulx wrote:
> jdow wrote:
>
>>Is it found in a handy place in CPAN?
>>{^_^}
>

> Because CPAN is for released modules (I am talking designed process
> and not observed quality here) I don't see how it could get there
> until it is actually released.

CPAN does have a way for tagging a "Developer Release" that will not be
installed by default.  See for example:
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Compress-Zlib/

`install Compress::Zlib` will install 1.37 - not 2.000_01.  To install
the dev. release you would probably have to do something like:

`install P/PM/PMQS/Compress-Zlib-2.000_01.tar.gz`

Not sure why SA doesn't use this functionality though.

Re: Debian Packages for 3.1.0-rc2

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
jdow wrote:
> Is it found in a handy place in CPAN?
> {^_^}

Because CPAN is for released modules (I am talking designed process
and not observed quality here) I don't see how it could get there
until it is actually released.

If you are installing by CPAN and not using a package manager then
using the built packages won't work for you.  And using CPAN won't
work for you.  You would need to pull the SA packages directly and do
your own build.

Or find a CPAN configuration that pulls from someone who has already
done this that is not from CPAN.  :-)

Bob

Re: Debian Packages for 3.1.0-rc2

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.