Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by julia schmitz <ju...@web.de> on 2006/04/30 17:21:55 UTC

FW: can not find velocity template vm

Hello to all Velocity - User,

Can someone help me: Where is the mistake why i get the this Error:

Error: org.apache.velocity.exception.ResourceNotFoundException: Unable to find resource 'displaylist.vm'

I give you some more information about my application.

I have installed Eclipse 3.1.2, Tomcat 5.0.28 and Sysdeo (Tomcat Plugin) 3.1.0. In the %CATALINA_HOME%confweb.xml File i activated the Invoker Servlet.

My Classpath is :

ANT_HOME C:javaant

CATALINA_HOME C:ProgrammeApache Software FoundationTomcat

JAVA_HOME C:javaj2sdk

Then i added a new Tomcat Project into

D:My DocumentsEclipseworkspacePM --> application_root (app_root)

D:My DocumentsEclipseworkspaceIPMWEB-INFlib: here i put the velocity-dep-1.4.jar file

In the WEB-INF i created 2 files: web.xml and velocity.properties:

web.xml:

<web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee [http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee]"
 xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance [http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance]"
 xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee [http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee] http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd [http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd]"
 version="2.4">

 <display-name>Test</display-name>
 <description> Test </description>
 <servlet>
 <servlet-name>Test</servlet-name>
 <servlet-class>/Test</servlet-class>
 <init-param>
 <param-name>properties</param-name>
 <param-value>>/WEB-INF/velocity.properties</param-value>
 </init-param>
 <servlet-mapping>
 <servlet-name>Test</servlet-name>
 <url-pattern>/Test</url-pattern>
 </servlet-mapping>
 </servlet>
</web-app>

velocity.properties:

file.resource.loader.path = /
file.resource.loader.cache = true
file.resource.loader.modificationCheckInterval = 1
runtime.log.error.stacktrace = true
runtime.log = /WEB-INF/velocity.log

This is my test Class:

package test;

import java.io.PrintWriter;
import java.util.Vector;
import org.apache.velocity.*;
import org.apache.velocity.context.Context;
import org.apache.velocity.*;
import org.apache.velocity.app.*;
import org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.loader.ClasspathResourceLoader;
import org.apache.velocity.servlet.*;
import org.apache.velocity.context.*;
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
import java.util.*;
import java.io.*;
import org.apache.velocity.servlet.VelocityServlet;
import java.io.*;

public class Test extends VelocityServlet {

 public Template handleRequest(HttpServletRequest request,
 HttpServletResponse response, Context context)throws Exception {

 PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
 Vector v = new Vector();
 v.add("one");
 v.add("two");
 v.add("three");
 context.put("list", v);;
 Template template = null;
 try {
 template = Velocity.getTemplate("displaylist.vm");

 } catch (Exception e) {

 out.println("<html>");
 out.println("<head>");
 out.println("<title>Error</title>");
 out.println("</head>");
 out.println("<body>");
 out.println("<h1>This is the Error:</h1>");
 out.println("Error: " + e);
 out.println("</body>");
 out.println("</html>");
 }
 return template;
 }
}

I put the displaylist.vm in the app_root.

I hope you can understand what i did and can you see where is the mistake?

Thank you very very much because i tried eveything and the template is not found.

Bye Bye

Julia

kostenguenstig. Jetzt gleich testen! *http://f.web.de/?mc=021192* [http://f.web.de/?mc=021192]

Re: FW: can not find velocity template vm

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
Please send Velocity usage questions to the velocity-user list and do
not cross post your messages to both lists.  Those of us subscribed to
both lists only need one copy, thanks.

Re: can not find velocity template vm

Posted by Llewellyn Falco <is...@setgame.com>.
ok, so the if you just want to debug, allow these suggestions.

1) not sure if it was a copy/paste, but if it is there is a double >>
> <param-value>>/WEB-INF/velocity.properties</param-value>

2) check that your properties are being loaded.
        System.out.println("runtime.log = " + new
VelocityEngine().getProperty("runtime.log"));

3) check that you root path is what you think it is.
        System.out.println("default path = " + new
File("/").getAbsolutePath());

other points, not really related....

4) you mentioned you are using eclipse,  pay attention to the warnings. it
will show stuff like the double ;; and the imports, which are easy to clean
with an organize imports (ctrl + shift + o)

5) likewise checkout veloeclipse for your templates
Help -> Software Updates -> Find and Install... -> Search for new features
to install -> Add Update Site... ->

Name : Veloeclipse