Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Barry Workman <bw...@beol.net> on 2000/11/16 04:24:45 UTC

Scaling Problems/tables

I am using FOP 0.14 via the command line in JBuilder 3.5. Windows NT4.0.

I am attempting to publish a document in which a series of votes is
recorded. (No I do not live in Florida).
There are anywhere from 6 to 10 votes in any session document I am
publishing with 99 members voting.
I am attempting to publish the votes by name in a two column table,
populating cells via xpath.

When I build the stylesheet I am able to produce correct yea and nay tables
as long as the total number of votes does not exceed about 60. When I strive
for the full 99 votes the app literally quits.

I have been monitoring RAM and increased from 128 meg to 256 meg, which
allowed me to increase input slightly but I currently have 50-60 megs still
free when the app quits.

Any ideas ? suggestions ?

Ex  XSL semper aliquid novi-
Barry Workman

Re: Scaling Problems/tables

Posted by Richard Huxton <de...@archonet.com>.
> When I build the stylesheet I am able to produce correct yea and nay
tables
> as long as the total number of votes does not exceed about 60. When I
strive
> for the full 99 votes the app literally quits.
>
> I have been monitoring RAM and increased from 128 meg to 256 meg, which
> allowed me to increase input slightly but I currently have 50-60 megs
still
> free when the app quits.
>
> Any ideas ? suggestions ?

I've been looking at FOP memory usage recently, and one of my test cases is
a large table. You might find it helps to do the transformation in two
steps: .xml=>.fo then .fo=>.pdf

If your data isn't sensitive, I can test your .fo file against my patches.
Failing that, I can send you a copy of my patched fop.jar and you can give
it a go. Please bear in mind that my stuff is work in progress and not fully
tested yet.

You might want to check your source files and make sure that in
.../fop/datatypes/ColorType.java the int[][] vals line reads

 final static int[][] vals = {

Otherwise, you include a copy of that whole array every time you reference a
colour.

- Richard Huxton