Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Clifton Royston <cl...@lava.net> on 2006/10/19 02:35:25 UTC

FreeBSD ports and 3.1.7 (Was Re: Should I upgrade to 3.1.6?)

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 08:24:25PM -0400, Steve Lake wrote:

> >> Why does it have to be in the ports tree?  Does the CPAN version
> >> not run on FreeBSD?
> >
> >Just for consistency's sake. The ports system sometimes gets confused if
> >you have a mix of ports and cpan installed packages.
>
>         Exactly, that's why I prefer to do everything via ports.  For one,
> it's the absolute easiest way to install stuff on Freebsd, and two, as the
> those "ugly" problems that tend to crop up periodically if you stick to
> ports.  I'm not saying ports is perfect, but there's a level of
> accountability there that doesn't exist in raw installed programs, files
> and dependencies that I happen to like.  :D

  You can simply edit the ports Makefile and distinfo directly (update
the version in the former, the distfile size and checksum in the
latter) than rock on.

  It's nice to let someone else do the work, but on a trivial upgrade
like that from 3.1.6 to 3.1.7, it's easy enough to do it yourself.  It
took me about 5-10 minutes earlier today when I got tired of waiting
for ports to catch up.  I'm about to start testing now.

  It's not even that hard to create your own new local ports under
ports/local, following the FreeBSD Porter's Handbook, even if you don't
feel bold enough to submit them.

  FYI,
  -- Clifton

--