Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Heinen <mh...@googlemail.com> on 2017/05/09 14:25:51 UTC

Embedded tomcat does not find web-fragment in jars outside web-inf\lib

Hi all,

I am currently mirgating an application from Tomcat 7.0.73 to 8.0.43.
On development platforms we use an embedded tomcat.
On of the jars on the classpath contains a web-fragment.xml in it's
META-INF folder.
This jar file is NOT located within the webApp but simply on the classpath.
With Tomcat 7.0.73 the web-fragment is processed and the defined filter
is instantiated.
With Tomcat 8.0.43 the web-fragment is not processed at all.

Some lines of code:

final StandardContext ctx = ...
ctx.setXmlBlockExternal(false);

final StandardJarScanner jarScanner = new StandardJarScanner();
jarScanner.setScanAllDirectories(true);
jarScanner.setScanAllFiles(true);
jarScanner.setScanBootstrapClassPath(true);
jarScanner.setScanClassPath(true);
jarScanner.setScanManifest(false);
ctx.setJarScanner(jarScanner);

Should this work with Tomcat 8 or is my expectation wrong?

Note that the web-fragement is processed when I move the jar to the
web-inf\lib folder.

Regards,

Michael

Re: Embedded tomcat does not find web-fragment in jars outside web-inf\lib

Posted by Michael Heinen <mh...@googlemail.com>.
Am 10.05.2017 um 19:59 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> On 10/05/17 12:40, Michael Heinen wrote:

> <snip/>

>>> Maybe. There might be a (spec related) reason for that. E.g. Something
>>> that was tightened up / clarified in Servlet 3.1 that wasn't back-ported
>>> to Tomcat 7 in case users were relying on the functionality.
>>>
>>> The next thing to check is the svn history for those files.
>>> https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/ and the annotate (a.k.a blame)
>>> view is useful for that. The key is likely to be the commit that added
>>> the isWebapp test.
>>>
>>> Mark
>> I digged into the history an found following changeset with the comment
>> "Container provided JARs should not be scanned for deployment
>> annotations nor should they be checked for web-fragment.xml files."
>> https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1493066
>> I have no idea how to find the corresponding ticket but a guy called
>> "markt" implemented this ;-)
> If there was an associated Bugzilla issue, a link to it would normally
> be included in the commit message.
>
>> So the check has been added on purpose but I don't know the reason for
>> that.
>> What next?
> Let me look at the specs and see if there was a change/clarification
> that might have prompted this. I do recall in that timeframe that there
> were some clarifications about what got scanned in what circumstances.
>
> /me goes to read spec docs...
>
> The relevant language is in section 8.2.1
> <quote>
> only JAR files
> bundled in a web application's WEB-INF/lib directory, but not those
> higher up in the class loading delegation chain, need to be scanned for
> web-fragment.xml
> </quote>
>
> Therefore, Tomcat 8.0 looks to be doing the right thing.
>
> Digging into the archives, finds this thread:
> http://tomcat.markmail.org/thread/z3n2lfaa6zlpvodl
>
> It looks like this was missed when we implemented Servlet 3.0 (Tomcat 7)
> but was picked up during the 3.1 work.
>
> I haven't looked at the changes in detail but it looks like some
> combination of needing the new scanning API to implement it and not
> wanting to change 7.0.x behaviour after several years of stable releases
> was responsible for it not being back-ported.
>
> Neither web-fragment.xml change nor the wider JarScanner changes are
> listed in the 7.0.x to 8.0.x migration guide. That looks like it should
> be corrected.
>
> Mark

Thanks Mark for your quick answers!

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Heinen <mh...@googlemail.com>.
Am 10.05.2017 um 12:18 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> On 10/05/17 10:26, Michael Heinen wrote:

>>> It should work. I'd recommend putting a break-point in
>>> StandardJarScanner and stepping through the Tomcat code to see what is
>>> going wrong.
>>>
>>> Mark
>> Thanks Mark
>> Here are the results from debugging:
>>
>> 1) Tomcat 8.0.43:
>> The boolean parameter "isWebapp" is false in this case and therefore the
>> web-fragment is not processed at all.
>> See
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.FragmentJarScannerCallback.scan(Jar,
>> String, boolean)
>>
>>      // Only web application JARs are checked for web-fragment.xml
>>      // files.
>>      // web-fragment.xml files don't need to be parsed if they are never
>>      // going to be used.
>>      if (isWebapp && parseRequired) {
>>          is = jar.getInputStream(FRAGMENT_LOCATION);
>>      }
>>
>> 2) Tomcat 7.0.73:
>> There is no check for webApps. The member "parseRequired" is true and
>> therefore the fragment is loaded.
>> See
>> org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.FragmentJarScannerCallback.scan(JarURLConnection)
>>

>>   if (parseRequired || context.getXmlValidation()) {
>>      is = jar.getInputStream(FRAGMENT_LOCATION);
>>   }
> Thanks for digging in to that. That certainly explains the different
> behaviours.
>
>> Should I open a bug?
> Maybe. There might be a (spec related) reason for that. E.g. Something
> that was tightened up / clarified in Servlet 3.1 that wasn't back-ported
> to Tomcat 7 in case users were relying on the functionality.
>
> The next thing to check is the svn history for those files.
> https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/ and the annotate (a.k.a blame)
> view is useful for that. The key is likely to be the commit that added
> the isWebapp test.
>
> Mark

I digged into the history an found following changeset with the comment
"Container provided JARs should not be scanned for deployment
annotations nor should they be checked for web-fragment.xml files."
https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1493066
I have no idea how to find the corresponding ticket but a guy called
"markt" implemented this ;-)

So the check has been added on purpose but I don't know the reason for
that.
What next?

Thanks,

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.