Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Gaël LHEZ <gl...@glowria.fr> on 2006/05/19 17:25:56 UTC

synchronizing timer not working?

Hi,

I'm trying to use the synchronizing timer which is supposed to do the
following : it wait for X threads, and then continue (eg: pass to another
test element).

For my test, I need to wait for all user, because I need them to do a
specific work, before continuing. After their work is done, I will do a long
task, and then those users will do another work.

Supposing the first task is Task 1, long task is Task 2 and last task is
Task 3, here what my test looks with synch' timer :

ThreadGroup (15)
  |- Task 1
  |- Synchronizing Timer (15)
  |- If ${counter} = 1
  |    |- Task 2
  |- Synchronizing Timer (15)
  |- Task 3

Before doing so (since HTTPS does not work on my test, I can't do real
test), I tested juste the synch' timer with the following test :

ThreadGroup (15)
  |- Counter (1 -- > 9999999)
  |- Synchronizing Timer (5)
  |- Test Sampler (named 'coin coin ${counter}'

Here is the result :

1	[log=1]
8	[log=3]
9	coin coin 1
10	[log=2]
11	[log=5]
12	[log=6]
13	coin coin 2
14	coin coin 4
15	coin coin 3
16	coin coin 5
17	[log=10]
21	[log=6]
22	coin coin 6
23	[log=7]
26	[log=10]
27	coin coin 8
28	coin coin 7
29	[log=11]
30	coin coin 10
31	coin coin 9
32	[log=13]
36	[log=11]
37	coin coin 11	31	true	13015
38	[log=13]

1. I don't understand why coin coin 1 come before the other samplers?
2. The test does not even stop !

Curiously, stopping the test force the 'coin coin 12 to 15 ' to appear

I don't know if the synch timer is buffy or not, but it does not seems to
work.

Also, i'd like to know if I could do the following (with the same approch in
mind) :

Thread Group (1)
  |- Thread Group (15)
  |    |- Task 1
  |- Thread Group (1) (wait previous thread group to end)
  |-   |- Task 2
  |- Thread Group (15) (wait previous thread group to end)
       |- Task 3

Last time I tested that, the parent thread group ignored the inner thread
group (like if there was Simple Controller).

What should/could I do ?

RE: synchronizing timer not working?

Posted by Gaël LHEZ <gl...@glowria.fr>.
I did not try it for now, since I'm trying to get the SSL working

(I've got a lazy bad_error_mac, which does not help me, and which don't
depend on jMeter since it also fails  when I use http client or just new
URL("..").openConnection().getContents())

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gaël LHEZ <gl...@glowria.fr>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19/05/06, Gaël LHEZ <gl...@glowria.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use the synchronizing timer which is supposed to do the
> following : it wait for X threads, and then continue (eg: pass to another
> test element).
>
> For my test, I need to wait for all user, because I need them to do a
> specific work, before continuing. After their work is done, I will do a long
> task, and then those users will do another work.
>
> Supposing the first task is Task 1, long task is Task 2 and last task is
> Task 3, here what my test looks with synch' timer :
>
> ThreadGroup (15)
>   |- Task 1
>   |- Synchronizing Timer (15)

This will apply to ALL samplers in the thread group

>   |- If ${counter} = 1
>   |    |- Task 2
>   |- Synchronizing Timer (15)

This will apply to ALL samplers in the thread group

>   |- Task 3

All timers are applied to ALL samplers in their scope.

> Before doing so (since HTTPS does not work on my test, I can't do real
> test), I tested juste the synch' timer with the following test :
>
> ThreadGroup (15)
>   |- Counter (1 -- > 9999999)
>   |- Synchronizing Timer (5)
>   |- Test Sampler (named 'coin coin ${counter}'
>
> Here is the result :
>
> 1       [log=1]
> 8       [log=3]
> 9       coin coin 1
> 10      [log=2]
> 11      [log=5]
> 12      [log=6]
> 13      coin coin 2
> 14      coin coin 4
> 15      coin coin 3
> 16      coin coin 5
> 17      [log=10]
> 21      [log=6]
> 22      coin coin 6
> 23      [log=7]
> 26      [log=10]
> 27      coin coin 8
> 28      coin coin 7
> 29      [log=11]
> 30      coin coin 10
> 31      coin coin 9
> 32      [log=13]
> 36      [log=11]
> 37      coin coin 11    31      true    13015
> 38      [log=13]
>
> 1. I don't understand why coin coin 1 come before the other samplers?
> 2. The test does not even stop !
>
> Curiously, stopping the test force the 'coin coin 12 to 15 ' to appear
>
> I don't know if the synch timer is buffy or not, but it does not seems to
> work.

See above.

> Also, i'd like to know if I could do the following (with the same approch in
> mind) :
>
> Thread Group (1)
>   |- Thread Group (15)
>   |    |- Task 1
>   |- Thread Group (1) (wait previous thread group to end)
>   |-   |- Task 2
>   |- Thread Group (15) (wait previous thread group to end)
>        |- Task 3

Thread Groups cannot be nested.

Synchronizer Timer -> Doing a synchronizing controller

Posted by Gaël LHEZ <gl...@glowria.fr>.
Hi,

Because of my test, I need to synchronize the threads ("user") so that for
example 14 users do something, and then wait, then the 15th user do a
specific action that may be done only if the 14 (+ him) finished the
previous work.

For that, the Sync Timer exists, and allow me to wait for user, that's what
I'd like to have.

But it does not allow me to do the specific work.

I have another solution, which is to use different thread group and run them
one by one, but I will also have another thread group and i'd like to run
them (this test + the other) at the same time to test the load of the
server.

That's why I searched for some synchronizing controller : I'd like to know
if :

1. it's possible to do a shared instance of my controller, so that's it
would be initialized when i want (at start of test I presume)

2. it's possible to get the parent thread group so that I can wait for only
the number of thread of my choice ?

Thx