Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jason Filby <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/03 09:22:02 UTC

[users@httpd] Subversion and Apache versions

Hi

We'll be upgrading our Linux box to use Oracle 9iAS. The application
server includes Apache 1.3.22, which is verified to work with
Oracle's modules. We'd like to run Subversion on this box, but
suspect that this may pose a problem, since Subversion appears to
require Apache 2. Is it possible for Subversion (using Apache 2
libraries) to run on a box with a functioning Apache 1.3.22 server?

I was thinking that this may be possible if we don't use Subversion
through Apache 2's httpd. After all, doesn't Subversion just require
the APR of Apache? If we install some of the Apache 2 RPMs, is there
a way for them to coexist with those of Apache 1.3.22? (so that
1.3.22 is not upgraded)

Thanks
Jason

Re: [users@httpd] Subversion and Apache versions

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Jason Filby wrote:

> I was thinking that this may be possible if we don't use Subversion
> through Apache 2's httpd. After all, doesn't Subversion just require
> the APR of Apache? If we install some of the Apache 2 RPMs, is there
> a way for them to coexist with those of Apache 1.3.22? (so that
> 1.3.22 is not upgraded)

I'm not a subversion expert, but I believe that the server side of
subversion *requires* apache 2.0, not just apr.  The client side only
needs apr.

However, this shouldn't be a problem.  You can install both Apache
1.3.22 and Apache 2.0.  You only need assure that they run on different
ports.

Joshua.

Re: Subversion and Apache versions

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Jason Filby <ja...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> We'll be upgrading our Linux box to use Oracle 9iAS. The application
> server includes Apache 1.3.22, which is verified to work with
> Oracle's modules. We'd like to run Subversion on this box, but
> suspect that this may pose a problem, since Subversion appears to
> require Apache 2. Is it possible for Subversion (using Apache 2
> libraries) to run on a box with a functioning Apache 1.3.22 server?
>
> I was thinking that this may be possible if we don't use Subversion
> through Apache 2's httpd. After all, doesn't Subversion just require
> the APR of Apache?

Subversion clients, yes.  A Subversion server, however, requires
mod_dav_svn, which is an Apache 2 module.

> If we install some of the Apache 2 RPMs, is there a way for them to
> coexist with those of Apache 1.3.22? (so that 1.3.22 is not
> upgraded)

I can't speak for the RPMs, but I do know that Apache 1.3 (doing
webserver-y things) and 2.0 (doing Subversion-y things) can live
harmoniously on the same machine.

Re: Subversion and Apache versions

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
If you look at the file name it is apache-2.0.X-Y.i386.rpm.  If you look
at the contents of it (rpm -qlp apache-2.0.X-Y.i386.rpm) you will see that
it puts the apache 2.X files and configuration in the /usr/local/apache2
directory with an initialization script of /etc/init.d/httpd2.

It is completely independent of the apache 1.X stuff and the server can be
turned on and off (/etc/init.d/httpd2 [ start | stop ]) independently of
the apache 1.X server.

When to packages are installed with the same name (but different version
or releases) then "rpm -q apache" will show both packages installed.
(Same thing when you install multiple kernel packages).

RPM was designed for that. :-)

 Have fun.

   - David

[users@httpd] Re: Subversion and Apache versions