Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "R. Steven Rainwater" <sr...@ncc.com> on 2008/02/13 22:02:04 UTC

ok_languages doesn't seem to work

100% of the non-English email we're getting is spam, so I added this to
my local.cf file:

ok_languages en

However, I can't see that it's having any effect at all. I'm still
getting tons of Russian and asian spams that don't seem to even be
triggering any SA rules at all. Am I using the config option wrong or is
there some better way to make non-English language emails score higher?

-Steve

RE: ok_languages doesn't seem to work

Posted by Michael Hutchinson <mh...@manux.co.nz>.

Does anyone know how to do this with Qmail, or is it best left to
Spamassassin?

I've written some custom rules in my local.cf file to tag the Russian
spam that seems to be on the rise. I think they're getting around some
of my regular expressions, however, and I'd really like a better way to
do it. We do have clients of Asian origin, so it would be kind of nice
to be able to tag spam for the character sets (koi8-r & windows-1255)
that the Russian spam uses, leaving other charsets alone.

Currently I'm just regexp'ing the subject and body of the message for
those character sets and scoring accordingly.

A better way would be to match phrases from the spam messages
themselves, although this will cause more load on SA, it would be a
"more world-friendly" method.
This involves translating the spam messages into English, then matching
up a spam-like phrase to tag, then finding that phrase in the actual
email file on the server(no codepage conversions necessary) then
grabbing the section of non-sensical UTF-8 characters to put in my
local.cf file for scoring.

Anyone have better rules/methods?

Cheers,
Mike

Re: ok_languages doesn't seem to work

Posted by Jonathan Armitage <jo...@hepworthband.co.uk>.
R. Steven Rainwater wrote:
> 100% of the non-English email we're getting is spam, so I added this to
> my local.cf file:
>

> ok_languages en
>

> However, I can't see that it's having any effect at all.

Steven,

I think you might need to uncomment

loadplugin     Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::TextCat

in /etc/mail/spamassassin/v310.pre (or your equivalent).

As an aside, I'm afraid I simply reject some of them out of hand if they
contain a particular MIME charset. Using an Exim ACL, I do:

   deny    message       = Sorry, no one speaks this language here.
           condition     = ${if eq{lc:$mime_charset}{gb2312}{1}{0}}

That one's simplified Chinese, but I reject other languages as well,
including Russian.

You may be able to do something similar with your MTA. And it's one less
message for SA to scan :)

Jon

Re: ok_languages doesn't seem to work

Posted by Duane Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:52:01 +0200
"Jari Fredriksson" <ja...@iki.fi> wrote:

> > On 14.02.08 00:16, Jari Fredriksson wrote:
> >> I think it is nowadays ok_locales
> >>
> >> ok_locales en
> >>
> >> ok_languages stopped working in some version but I can't
> >> remember when..
> >
> > ok_languages and ok_locales are two different settings,
> > both work. Maybe you just don't have TextCat plugin
> > enabled??
>
> There is no ok_languages in my "man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf"
> ok_locales talks about languages. Strange that one can get into
> conclusion that ok_languages does not work.. Is only for the TextCat
> plugin?

Take a look at:

  perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::TextCat

-------
  _|_
 (_| |

Re: ok_languages doesn't seem to work

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
> > 100% of the non-English email we're getting is spam, so I
> > added this to my local.cf file:
> >

> > ok_languages en
> >

> > However, I can't see that it's having any effect at all.
> > I'm still getting tons of Russian and asian spams that
> > don't seem to even be triggering any SA rules at all. Am
> > I using the config option wrong or is there some better
> > way to make non-English language emails score higher?

On 14.02.08 00:16, Jari Fredriksson wrote:
> I think it is nowadays ok_locales
>
> ok_locales en
>
> ok_languages stopped working in some version but I can't remember when..

ok_languages and ok_locales are two different settings, both work.
Maybe you just don't have TextCat plugin enabled??
Saving Private Ryan...
Private Ryan exists. Overwrite? (Y/N)

Re: ok_languages doesn't seem to work

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.