Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org> on 2017/04/18 17:50:27 UTC

MaaS + Apache Twill ?

I ran across the Apache Twill [1] project recently whose goal is to reduce
the complexity of developing distributed applications that run on YARN.  My
first thought is that it might offer additional capabilities and/or
simplify our current MaaS implementation.

Here are a list of features provided by Twill that I think might be useful
for MaaS.

   - Service discovery
   - Elastic scaling
   - High Availability
   - Placement policies - Which rack/host should the model run on?
   - Security - Kerberos ticket refresh?

Just wanted to float the thought in the community and see if anyone has
experience with Twill.  I need to do some more research myself.

[1] http://twill.apache.org/

Re: MaaS + Apache Twill ?

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.
In the long run it is going to make more sense to get on a platform that
someone else supports (aka Apache Twill).  That is, assuming that the
Apache Twill project is sustainable and of high quality.  That lets someone
else do the work to ensure that MaaS continues to work as YARN evolves,
provides new features, and ensures broader testing and usage of core
components.

Re: MaaS + Apache Twill ?

Posted by James Sirota <js...@apache.org>.

-------------------�

Re: MaaS + Apache Twill ?

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.

Re: MaaS + Apache Twill ?

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.

Re: MaaS + Apache Twill ?

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.
So, one of the original visions was for MaaS to be fronted by a REST API to
submit artifacts and to provide code-free uses for common model types.  I
haven't thought about twill in a long time, but I'd be willing to move away
from raw Yarn API if we get some candy from Twill.

Casey

Re: MaaS + Apache Twill ?

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.
One more thought, I definitely am not opposed to making it distributed
resource manager independent.  I think what Otto is suggesting isn't a bad
thread to pull on.  Right now, MaaS is tied to Yarn inherently and it'd be
nice to make that dependency pluggable.  This would allow us to use other
Lambda or Kubernetes or whatever for model deployment, which would be
really neat.

Re: MaaS + Apache Twill ?

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.

Re: MaaS + Apache Twill ?