Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by charly <ga...@googlemail.com> on 2007/09/13 09:06:57 UTC

is jsvc not used here? Re: slow shutdown with jsvc

jsvc seems to be no matter on this mailing list?
Are there other tools for running tomcat on port 80 with nonroot user on
unix/solaris?
Running apache only for nonroot port 80 access seems to be
oversized/extensive for me (maintenance,complexity,..)

Charly

2007/9/8, charly <gartenzwerg..>:

> Hi all again,
>
> ..

Is the old behaviour by design or did I made something wrong at building the

Re: is jsvc not used here? Re: slow shutdown with jsvc

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
Gentoo Linux comes with its own startup script for Tomcat (using, I
believe, tools from Debian) that fits into the Gentoo startup
structure, so one doesn't need jsvc there.  I suppose that many other
distro.s do likewise, although some may use jsvc "under the covers".

Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he
means the exact opposite.

Re: is jsvc not used here? Re: slow shutdown with jsvc

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: is jsvc not used here? Re: slow shutdown with jsvc

Posted by charly <ga...@googlemail.com>.
2007/9/14, Christopher Schultz

> > Dos anyone use it on Solaris?
>
> Again, you ought to ask about this on the jakarta-commons forum, where
> the jsvc project lives.

Ok I have understood that
But my original question was  "are there are existing better tools?" and I
did not find it appropriate to ask for this at their forum

Is the only problem that jsvc takes a long time to shut down?

I solved my problem (see older emails, maybe I should have labeled that with
a SOLVED)
But  the solution was so simple that I am wondering if jsvc was used at all
for tomcat (at least on solaris)
(and maybe there would be used other tools with advantages)  Maybe tomcat at
all is scarcely anybody using on solaris.

I assume that this slowness is only on certain Unices.

I did not want to annoy.
Thanks Charly

Re: is jsvc not used here? Re: slow shutdown with jsvc

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: is jsvc not used here? Re: slow shutdown with jsvc

Posted by charly <ga...@googlemail.com>.
Ok it seems no problem on Linux.

Dos anyone use it on Solaris?

Charly

2007/9/14, David Smith:

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.

Posted by charly <ga...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by charly <ga...@googlemail.com>.
2007/9/13, Gabriel Wong <ga...@webappcabaret.com>:

> Charly,
>
> The URL, provided by Christopher, provides some very useful tips for
> port 80 binding.
> I would also like to add, another option (used in the hosting world) is
> to create a VPS for the application server to run under.
> So the application server would be able to run as root but yet in a
> restrictive environment set by the VPS policy.

my unix experience is humble. VPS seems to be a linux tool. Is it also
available for solaris?

thanks charly

Re: is jsvc not used here? Re: slow shutdown with jsvc

Posted by Gabriel Wong <ga...@webappcabaret.com>.
Charly,

The URL, provided by Christopher, provides some very useful tips for
port 80 binding.
I would also like to add, another option (used in the hosting world) is
to create a VPS for the application server to run under.
So the application server would be able to run as root but yet in a
restrictive environment set by the VPS policy.

Christopher Schultz wrote:

Regards

Gabriel Wong

Beyond Private JVM JAVA Hosting

http://www.webappcabaret.com

Re: is jsvc not used here? Re: slow shutdown with jsvc

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.