Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ryan Hunt <rh...@hp.com> on 2003/12/09 02:10:55 UTC

Permissions in the WC

Any way to correct permission problems in the .svn files of the WC?

I have a user that ran chmod 775 recursively in the root of his WC, and
so when trying to do a ci gets the following...

> => time svn ci -m "stage2 updates"
> Sending        diff/nvram
> Sending        diff/vmware.log
> Sending        notes/store_notes_here
> Sending        vmcore/ide-s001.vmdk
> Sending        vmcore/ide.vmdk
> Transmitting file data .....subversion/libsvn_client/commit.c:743:
> (apr_err=200000)
> svn: A problem occurred; see later errors for details
> svn: Commit succeeded, but other errors follow:
> subversion/libsvn_client/commit.c:761: (apr_err=155009)
> svn: Problem running log
> svn: Error bumping revisions post-commit (details follow):
> subversion/libsvn_wc/log.c:293: (apr_err=155009)
> svn: in directory
> '/.automount/net/plslx021/local/home/abowman/vieadminworking/plslx021/
> 2checkin/stage2/de95/diff'
> subversion/libsvn_wc/log.c:1157: (apr_err=155009)
> svn: start_handler: error processing command 'committed' in
> '/.automount/net/plslx021/local/home/abowman/vieadminworking/plslx021/
> 2checkin/stage2/de95/diff'
> subversion/libsvn_wc/log.c:934: (apr_err=155009)
> svn: error replacing text-base: nvram
> subversion/libsvn_subr/io.c:651: (apr_err=1)
> svn: Operation not permitted
> svn: svn_io_set_file_read_write: failed to set file
> '/.automount/net/plslx021/local/home/abowman/vieadminworking/plslx021/
> 2checkin/stage2/de95/diff/.svn/text-base/nvram.svn-base' read-write
>
> real    2m24.07s
> user    0m38.77s
> sys     0m4.36s

when trying to do and svn cleanup get the following

> => svn cleanup
> subversion/libsvn_subr/io.c:625: (apr_err=1)
> svn: Operation not permitted
> svn: svn_io_set_file_read_only: failed to set file 'diff/.svn/entries'
> read-only

Any idea how to correct this permission problem?

-Ryan

Re: Permissions in the WC

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Tuesday 09 December 2003 17.51, Ryan Hunt wrote:
> Yes, I am aware of the amount of disk space used.  I will eventually
> be putting over 1000 disk images under revision control.
>
> The problem at this juncture however, is not the size, but that a
> checkin is not able to complete successfully due to the changed
> permissions in the WC.  Is there any way to set the disk permissions
> back to their default settings in the .svn files, or to for a
> completion regardless of permissions?

I don't think so.
I can only guess the permissions but 775 may be a good starting point for
folders, programs and shellscript and 664 should be ok in files. A "svn
revert -R ." will not restore permissions.
You should also make sure that subversion runs by the same owner as the
on who owns the wc.

I CC this email to to users list so anybody can see this.

Good luck

Jostein

--
http://www.josander.net/kontakt/ ||
http://www.josander.net/en/contact/

Re: Permissions in the WC

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Tuesday 09 December 2003 03.10, Ryan Hunt wrote:
> Any way to correct permission problems in the .svn files of the WC?
>
> I have a user that ran chmod 775 recursively in the root of his WC,
> and so when trying to do a ci gets the following...

> > => time svn ci -m "stage2 updates"
> > Sending        diff/nvram
> > Sending        diff/vmware.log
> > Sending        notes/store_notes_here
> > Sending        vmcore/ide-s001.vmdk
> > Sending        vmcore/ide.vmdk

Do he run VMware when committing the files?
Be warned! Setting vmware's HD's (*.vmdk files) under version control
will blast you HD's all the way to the moon! The size of this files are
typically from 300 MB+ to 2GB and some or all of them  will probably
change and be committed every time VMware have been used.

Jostein

Re: Permissions in the WC

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Ryan Hunt <rh...@hp.com> writes:

> Any way to correct permission problems in the .svn files of the WC?
>
> I have a user that ran chmod 775 recursively in the root of his WC,
> and  so when trying to do a ci gets the following...
>
>> svn: Operation not permitted
>> svn: svn_io_set_file_read_write: failed to set file
>> '/.automount/net/plslx021/local/home/abowman/vieadminworking/plslx021/
>> 2checkin/stage2/de95/diff/.svn/text-base/nvram.svn-base' read-write

That looks like an ownership problem.  I would guess the files in the
working copy are not owned by the user running the svn command.

--
Philip Martin