Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by dudae <du...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/11 14:17:12 UTC

[Proposal] WS-Transfer/WS-Fragment implementation

Hi,
I study at Masaryk university in Czech republic and I am working on diploma
thesis guided by Rostislav Svoboda from Red Hat. Theme of the work is
"Implement missing WS specification for Apache CXF framework". I have chosen
the WS-Transfer specification. The implementation is located on url
https://github.com/dudaerich/cxf/tree/master/rt/ws/transfer I have also
written a document, where I discuss implementation details of the extension
(https://developer.jboss.org/docs/DOC-52941?uniqueTitle=false). For testing
purpose I have created sample application, which demonstrates using of the
WS-Transfer (https://github.com/dudaerich/WS-TransferExample). On base of it
I have also created systest in cxf project, which tests various scenarios of
using the WS-Transfer
(https://github.com/dudaerich/cxf/tree/master/systests/ws-transfer).

After finishing the main part of WS-Transfer implementation, I have started
to implement the WS-Fragment specification, because in the specification of
the WS-Transfer it is written that the WS-Fragment must be supported. During
the implementation I encountered with problems, which I discuss in document
https://developer.jboss.org/docs/DOC-52941?uniqueTitle=false Except in a few
special cases, which must be discussed, the implementation is complete. In
tests I cover examples given in the specification, which proves correctness
of the implementation for these cases.

I would like to contribute my work to cxf project and in this way to get
feedback from you. The code is rebased with the latest cxf and it is
prepared for pull request.

Erich Duda

Re: [Proposal] WS-Transfer/WS-Fragment implementation

Posted by Erich Duda <du...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
do you have any more comments in this thing?

I would like to ask you if you know someone who participates in
WS-Fragment working group. I asked them for review the document
https://developer.jboss.org/docs/DOC-52941?uniqueTitle=false , in which
I discuss uncertainties in the specification of WS-Fragment. However
nobody responded to my email
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-resource-access-comments/2015Feb/0000.html).
Could you push the email someone, who will know answer the questions,
which I ask in the document?

Thank you.

Erich

Dňa 19.02.2015 o 20:37 Erich Duda napísal(a):

Posted by Erich Duda <du...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Erich Duda <du...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
thank you for your comments. I fixed mentioned issues, see comments bellow.

Dňa 13.02.2015 o 21:23 Daniel Kulp napísal(a):
>> On Feb 12, 2015, at 3:03 PM, dudae<du...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Do you check the implementation? Could you give me some feedback please?
>> Thank you.
> Just took a quick look at this… I completely forgot about this.
>
> There are a couple of obvious things that “jump out” that are very quick/easy to fix.  Mostly removing the @author tags (highly discouraged at Apache) and there are a few files that need the Apache header added (the XML files).    There are also several warnings when pulled into Eclipse, but those aren’t big deals at all.    The other issue would be the use of the System.out for all the messages during the tests causing a lot of output on the console.   Again, easy fix and I understand why it’s there during development.

Should I fixed all PMD warnings? For example, "A method should have only
one exit point, and that should be the last statement in the method". I
think that more exit points (return statements) do some methods more
readable.

> The main thing that jumps out at me as being problematic is the use of the JAX-WS handlers (org.apache.cxf.ws.transfer.shared.handlers).   Those cause problems as we have to completely break streaming to build the SOAPMessage that is passed into those.   I’d very strongly encourage flipping those to normal CXF  SOAP interceptors.   They seem to only operate on SOAP headers so they can call the getHeaders method on the SOAPMessage passed into the interceptor and pretty much allow the body to remain as is.  (likely streaming)   That said, I’m not sure those are even needed.  CXF’s MAPCodec.java already gathers the headers that have the ReferenceParameter attribute and adds them to the “To” EndpointReference.   You may need to experiment a bit more to see if they are really getting through (and if not, figure out why).    Likewise, on the client, you could directly add them to the client RequestContext via the normal way of adding headers:
>
> http://cxf.apache.org/faq.html#FAQ-HowcanIaddsoapheaderstotherequest/response?
>
> and avoid the JAX-WS handler/interceptor entirely.

The ReferenceParameter is possible to send through the request context.
When I tried to send it through the standard headers, it isn't getting
through because MAPCodec removes all WS-Addressing headers (see
discardMAPs method).

Solution. Client side:

AddressingProperties addrProps = new AddressingProperties();
EndpointReferenceType endpoint = new EndpointReferenceType();
endpoint.setReferenceParameters(refParams);
endpoint.setAddress(ContextUtils.getAttributedURI(RESOURCE_ADDRESS));
addrProps.setTo(endpoint);
((BindingProvider)
proxy).getRequestContext().put(JAXWSAConstants.CLIENT_ADDRESSING_PROPERTIES,
addrProps);

Server side:

AddressingProperties addrProps = (AddressingProperties)
((WrappedMessageContext) context
     .getMessageContext()).getWrappedMessage()
.getContextualProperty(JAXWSAConstants.ADDRESSING_PROPERTIES_INBOUND);

ReferenceParametersType refParams =
addrProps.getToEndpointReference().getReferenceParameters();

> Few more CXF things:
> In XLSTResourceTransformer and TransferTools and a few other places, you are creating DocumentBuilderFactory/DocumentBuilder and a Transformer and such.   You really should use the utility methods we have in StaxUtils, XMLUtils, and XSLTUtils for much of that.    We try to make sure all the XML parsing and processing goes through those utilities so that we can control various aspects to prevent various attacks (like entity expansion attacks).

I removed TransferTools. I use for
  - parsing, serializing XML - StaxUtils
  - creating elements - DOMUtils.createDocument().createElement
  - transforming - XSLTUtils
  - xpath - XPathUtils

However in FragmentDialectLanguageXPath10 I don't use the XPathUtils,
because I need to recognize, when the XPath throw the exception and when
not. See https://www.java.net/node/681793

> Other than that, it looks fairly good.     I hope the above gives you some stuff to think about.

Erich

Re: [Proposal] WS-Transfer/WS-Fragment implementation

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by dudae <du...@gmail.com>.

Posted by dudae <du...@gmail.com>.
FIX: Document about implementation details is here
https://developer.jboss.org/docs/DOC-52429?uniqueTitle=false