Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by maven apache <ap...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/27 07:26:22 UTC

set the placeholder in the log4j.properties file

Hi:

I want the logs created by log4j put under the app dir,so I set the
placeholder in the log4j.properties:

# chartstdout is set to be a ConsoleAppender.
log4j.appender.chartstdout=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.chartstdout.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.chartstdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%-4r [%t] %-5p %l %x -
%m%n

log4j.appender.chartfileout=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
log4j.appender.chartfileout.File=${apppath}/logs/log.html
log4j.appender.chartfileout.Append=true
log4j.appender.chartfileout.layout=com.test.util.CustomHTMLLayout

log4j.rootLogger=debug, chartstdout,chartfileout

Then in my servlet whose "load-on-startup" attribute is "0" I set the
property "apppath",but it does not work.
It seems that the log4j read the log4j.properties and config the log before
I modify the property.
    public void init() {
        DbManager.init();
        // log
        String context =
getServletConfig().getServletContext().getRealPath("/");
        Properties p = new Properties();
        p.setProperty("apppath", context);
        try {

p.load(InitServlet.class.getResourceAsStream("/log4j.properties"));
        } catch (IOException e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
        }
        PropertyConfigurator.configure(p);
    }

Of course,I can rename the log4j.properties,then the log4j will not find the
file but I can. However some other libs which I used in my appliction
require log4j also,they need the log4j.properties to generate there logs.

Any ideas?

Re: set the placeholder in the log4j.properties file

Posted by maven apache <ap...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for all you guys. I will have a try.

Posted by Tushar Kapila <tg...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>> I modify the property.
>>     public void init() {
>>         DbManager.init();
>>         // log
>>         String context =
>> getServletConfig().getServletContext().getRealPath("/");
>>         Properties p = new Properties();
>>         p.setProperty("apppath", context);
>>         try {
>>
>> p.load(InitServlet.class.getResourceAsStream("/log4j.properties"));
>>         } catch (IOException e) {
>>             e.printStackTrace();
>>         }
>>         PropertyConfigurator.configure(p);
>>     }
>>

>> Of course,I can rename the log4j.properties,then the log4j will not find
>> the
>> file but I can. However some other libs which I used in my appliction
>> require log4j also,they need the log4j.properties to generate there logs.

Sent from my mobile device

Re: set the placeholder in the log4j.properties file

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.